Toilet Water Supply Line Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

harpa1

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 3 toilets in my house and 5 lavs. The supplies for the toilets all looked like this before I replaced them today. The lav supplies are the same stops and flexible supply but they all look as new as they did 11 years ago when they were installed. My plumbing is CPVC and I have hard water and a softener which is working properly. The water is 25ppm hardness today.

I am thinking that it is being caused by condensation from the cold supply water in the heated room. The lavs are all in cabinets and not exposed to as high an ambient temperature. Obviously it could also be leaking but why only the toilets? How can I prevent it from happening to the new supplies and stops?
Thanks.

P1040618sm.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like condensation from the toilet tank may have done that to the flex connectors.
It is a good idea to replace those every so often anyway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the female fittings on the cpvc plastic, or did they convert to metal there? THe reason I ask is that a NPT fitting applies a lot of pressure to plastic female fittings, and over time, they can crack ruining your day.

harpa1

Reaction score
Are the female fittings on the cpvc plastic, or did they convert to metal there? THe reason I ask is that a NPT fitting applies a lot of pressure to plastic female fittings, and over time, they can crack ruining your day.

This is what I replaced them with. The original was similar but made by Keeney. Inside the female connection is a piece of cpvc that gets solvent welded to the supply line. The body of the stop then gets screwed into that and the seal is made by a conical rubber washer. I see what you are saying but hopefully the pressure gets applied evenly around the circumference of the cpvc so that a weak point doesn't develop due to being deformed.

Screen shot 2015-05-08 at 8.38.28 PM.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A compression fitting should be fine...the screw threads 'confused' me...though it screwed into a socket. Those aren't very common, so the threads from a compression fitting makes more sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks