Toilet Water supply line in rubbed oil finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Lemmy

Reaction score
For most of my life I have always seen just a 1/2" copper line coming out of a wall for a toilet water supply and then a valve with 1/2" compression connection is used to connect to the 3/8" compression line that goes to the toilet tank. Recently I have seen some supply lines coming out of walls that have a rubbed oil finish. Something like this

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product703

I get confused with the IPS, FIP and NPT threads. Can someone help me out with this? I was wondering 1) what do I need to install inside the wall? The only thing I found at the store that might fit was a drop ear elbow with 1/2 FNPT threads. Also 2) if the drop ear elbow is what I need to have inside the wall, how do I attach the rubbed oil nipple coming out of the wall since it looks smooth and has no flats? Thanks for any help and I apologize for what may be a really dumb question.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are ORB finished angle stops with almost EVERY type of connection, and supply riser, so it depends on what you install inside and through the wall which will determine which one you use.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use the drop ear ell in the wall with a nipple, you'd put some pipe dope on both ends, start the valve on it, then insert the other end of the nipple into the wall. THen, using the flat sides of the new valve, us a wrench on the valve to tighten things up. Both ends will tighten at the same time. A pro would have the 'feel' for how tight to make it, but it is hard to get it too tight unless you're using a REALLY long wrench, or you're very strong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks