Toilet water supply has been off a while...try to turn back on now and get a horrible loud noise...

Users who are viewing this thread

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a toilet that I had turned off the water supply to a while ago (perhaps 2 months+). I turned it off because the toilet was running often...and although likely a simple fix, I was having another bathroom redone soon and was having a new toilet put in this bathroom to, so I just turned it off.

Now I want to turn it back on ... otherwise my pregnant wife has to walk downstairs from the bedroom to use the bathroom (and our bathroom redo is a little delayed). I slowly opened the water supply valve back up, and get a terrible loud sound...a loud vibrating that reverberates through the wall ... it sounds so bad I fear something bad will happen, so I turn it back off. I never get the valve fully open due to the sound giving me worries about doing so.

What is this phenomenon? Should I deal with the sound and open the valve all the way, and it will eventually stop?

Thanks!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may just be a loose washer in the shutoff at the wall. The water passing through vibrates the loose washer and makes that foghorn sound.
Open all the way and get the tank filled. The noise should stop when it's opened up.

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Forghorn sound...that is kind of how I would describe it! Very startling, makes me think that if I don't shut it immediately, something will burst and my home will be flooded! I'll give it another shot and be brave. Thanks!!

saabturbodrivr

Reaction score
Actually, this is the sound....not mine but sounds the same...

Just want to confirm we're talking about the same noise before I try anything :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Not what I expected to hear. Foghorns don't sound like that.

Turn on the valve all of the way on. If the noise starts again, replace the stop valve with a 1/4 turn stop valve and/or replace the fill valve. If the one you changed does not fix it, replace the other one too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may not be relevant to the problem you have, but you should be aware that toilet supply valves should be either fully on or totally off. That's the main reason for the 1/4 turn valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks