Toilet waste piping issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe N

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a new member but I've been getting good advice from here for years. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.
2017-03-02 17.30.10.jpg

I'm renovating a small bathroom and need to move the toilet from one wall to an adjacent wall. The waste stack needs to move 3" in two directions (in the attached picture, to the right and to the back). I'm having trouble figuring out how to make this happen.

As it is now, the riser comes directly off the main within about a foot of where it exits through the foundation. After the Y from the main, there's a street 45, then a T for the vent, both butted up tight together. The top of the vent fitting is 10 1/2" below the finished floor. This is, coincidentally, the same height as (2) street 45s would take up. The problem is the (2) 45s will give me the needed 3" offset in one way or the other, but not both. Any pipe added between 45s will put the toilet flange up too high. The 2 copper lines shown crossing the vent pipe are being relocated, if that helps.

Are there any options other than cutting out a piece of the main waste line and repiping it from scratch?

Stuff

Reaction score
Please confirm that the vent is wet (from sink?). If not you need a complete redesign as horizontal vents are a problem.

If you can go 3" either way with the 2 45s can you go diagonally and get just over 2" - is that enough with fudge factor? Otherwise it is tricky but you could use a 45º offset flange like http://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Ch...ing-3-Spigot?gclid=CN3S1P7vutICFQhWDQodWSEI7g .

Some have had success with removing ABS pipes from fittings. They could remove the existing 45 and build from there.

Joe N

Reaction score
You raised a good point that I hadn't considered. The vent was a wet vent, but I'm relocating the sink that was connected to it. I guess the case for starting from scratch just got a lot stronger. It may be time to call in a real plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks