Toilet Waste Pipe Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

AlBundy

Reaction score
I used flange off tool to get the flange off a toilet pipe. When I went to install the new flange I was having issues getting it all the way down flush with the tile (within 1/4 in) and figured it would get the rest of the way once I got the primer/glue on. Not the case. I wouldn't of tried this if I didn't have access to the pipes in the crawl space and there was a notch on the pipe that I thought it needed to be changed anyways. So now I have to cut it out from below.

Question - Where is the best place to join my new pipe into with a coupling? Straight vertical down from the flange is about a 2 ft straight section before the p-trap. Can I cut 6 inch below the subfloor and insert the coupling there with the new 6-in pipe going up through the subfloor for the new flange?

Is there an optimal place for the coupling or does it not really matter as long as I can get one in....?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have access from the basement or crawlspace, the place you describe sounds ideal.

You could use a shielded coupler rather than glue, and that gives some re-do possibilities.

AlBundy

Reaction score
If you have access from the basement or crawlspace, the place you describe sounds ideal.

You could use a shielded coupler rather than glue, and that gives some re-do possibilities.
Thanks Reach. Should I be concerned with small gaps on the joins with getting waste caught in there with either method since I most likely will not be having a perfectly straight cut on the vertical pipe. Planning on going in there with sawzall and keeping it flush against the pipe but I imagine it wont be perfect.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, don't worry about the small gaps between coupled sections on your 3-inch pipe.

For your cut, maybe the metal shield could be used as a temporary guide.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used flange off tool to get the flange off a toilet pipe. . . . Straight vertical down from the flange is about a 2 ft straight section before the p-trap.
Can you clarify the above details? There should be no external p-trap on a toilet installation, that trap is internal to the toilet.

Cheers, Wayne

AlBundy

Reaction score
Can you clarify the above details? There should be no external p-trap on a toilet installation, that trap is internal to the toilet.

Cheers, Wayne

Will take some pictures when I get home tonight. Now that I am thinking about it does seem odd that there would be one there. But if my memory is working there is a second trap under the toilet immediately after a 2-ft vertical 3 in pipe before it runs horizontal into the main waste line.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will take some pictures when I get home tonight. Now that I am thinking about it does seem odd that there would be one there. But if my memory is working there is a second trap under the toilet immediately after a 2-ft vertical 3 in pipe before it runs horizontal into the main waste line.
This should not be at all.

AlBundy

Reaction score
My mistake everyone. Thanks for your attention to details in my post too. There was not a p-trap after the toilet trap like I had thought it was a curved 90-degree that for some reason I saw as another p-trap. It is dark in my defense and this time I had a flash light. At any rate, cut the vertical pipe about 6 inches and installed the coupling. Toilet flange is on (with metal edging sitting on top of tile)!

Really appreciate the astute attention to detail and input above!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks