Toilet Waste Line Question

Users who are viewing this thread

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
I am adding a first floor bathroom. The first picture below (from the garage/basement) shows the waste line from the new toilet (on the left) and the existing waste line (on the right). The inspector said the sanitary tee that we used where the new toilet waste line meets the existing waste line was improper, and should be a wye. As you can see, a wye with a single 1/8 bend wouldn't work here because of the joist and how close it is to the other wye. So in the second picture, you can see my solution--which is to add a 90 and a 45. Are there any issues with this solution?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The neoprene connector is illegal. Should either be a PVC fitting or a banded coupler. Don't know about the rest of your mess.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
The neoprene connector is illegal. Should either be a PVC fitting or a banded coupler. Don't know about the rest of your mess.

I appreciate the attempt at providing advice. The neoprene connection is illegal according to who/what?

Here is at least one plumber who disagrees with your statement: http://www.jlconline.com/codes-and-standards/q-a--flexible-fittings-and-plumbing-codes.aspx.

And the IPC doesn't prohibit banded neoprene connections in sanitary waste lines:

SECTION 707 PROHIBITED JOINTS AND CONNECTIONS

707.1 Prohibited joints.

The following types of joints and connections shall be prohibited:

1. Cement or concrete joints.
2. Mastic or hot-pour bituminous joints.
3. Joints made with fittings not approved for the specific installation.
4. Joints between different diameter pipes made with elastomeric rolling O-rings.

5 Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe.
6. Saddle-type fittings.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
A "street wye" (spigot on bottom instead of hub - e.g., Charlotte 602) might save you the few inches you need to make things fit, otherwise you'll need to open more of the ceiling so you can re-frame the area by the joist to box out an opening for the pipe.

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
A "street wye" (spigot on bottom instead of hub - e.g., Charlotte 602) might save you the few inches you need to make things fit, otherwise you'll need to open more of the ceiling so you can re-frame the area by the joist to box out an opening for the pipe.

Thanks. I'm going to look into getting a street wye. I'll need the Charlotte 603 4x4x3 because the line for the toilet is 3".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quote; Illegal by who?

As you will note in that same paragraph you linked the following statement, " Be aware, however, that the listings for some of the couplings indicate that use above grade is subject to approval by the local building official. Always use the correct coupling for the pipes you’re connecting, and check with your inspector when the coupling is used above grade", and THAT is "who". I have NEVER met an inspector who approved them for above grade, and the ones in this area will not accept them underground, either, if they are inside the building. and, you are hoping the inspector accepts that street ell into the Y. As far as I know, NOBODY prohibits "banded neoprene" couplings, since that is the standard for approval. Do not use the IPC as a standard however, because it is a "user driven code", so it allows almost anything the contractor wants to do.

Last edited:

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
Quote; Illegal by who?

As you will note in that same paragraph you linked the following statement, " Be aware, however, that the listings for some of the couplings indicate that use above grade is subject to approval by the local building official. Always use the correct coupling for the pipes you’re connecting, and check with your inspector when the coupling is used above grade", and THAT is "who". I have NEVER met an inspector who approved them for above grade, and the ones in this area will not accept them underground, either, if they are inside the building. and, you are hoping the inspector accepts that street ell into the Y. As far as I know, NOBODY prohibits "banded neoprene" couplings, since that is the standard for approval. Do not use the IPC as a standard however, because it is a "user driven code", so it allows almost anything the contractor wants to do.

I can easily run any options by the inspector. He already suggested the street wye could work and had no issues with the coupling. And that is a banded neoprene coupling...I'm not entirely clear on the point your were making about it.

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
I can easily run any options by the inspector. He already suggested the street wye could work and had no issues with the coupling. And that is a banded neoprene coupling...I'm not entirely clear on the point your were making about it.

Unless the point is that it isn't shielded or a no-hub? This is in the basement so it isn't above grade.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless the point is that it isn't shielded or a no-hub? This is in the basement so it isn't above grade.

The fitting is above grade. Below grade means that it's surrounded by dirt. Because of that, it can't move.
Your fittings are in the air, and not supported. The reason for the metal wrap, is that the rubber will shift.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Maybe your inspector doesn't care, but ours do. :)

Using an additional 45 on the vertical is fine.

BirdLaw87

Reaction score
The fitting is above grade. Below grade means that it's surrounded by dirt. Because of that, it can't move.
Your fittings are in the air, and not supported. The reason for the metal wrap, is that the rubber will shift.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Maybe your inspector doesn't care, but ours do. :)

Using an additional 45 on the vertical is fine.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I agree a shielded coupler would be better. I may try to swap one in.

You said "an additional 45 on the vertical is fine." Does that mean you think the 90 and the 45 attached to the wye will be ok?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
IThe inspector said the sanitary tee that we used where the new toilet waste line meets the existing waste line was improper, and should be a wye.

First, good for you for pulling a permit and trying to do it right.

Terry often recommends this homeowner's guide to plumbing by an excellent inspector, Bert Polk:
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

(Note, folks, it's in a new place on the Lincoln County site, and the new link is above.)

I also like this guide:
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/documentcenter/view/103
I mention this because Bert's guide devotes an entire page, page 8, to stating in big, bold print that the most common mistake homeowners make is to use a sanitary T on its back as a drainage fitting, and includes a photo of your exact installation as a no-no. Maybe having both these guides will be helpful to you in future projects. I myself refer to them a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; had no issues with the coupling. And that is a banded neoprene coupling...

It is a neoprene coupling with TWO HOSE CLAMPS, NOT a "banded coupling", which he should "have an issue with". Below grade means "buried underground", not below ground level. You do realize, that to use a street Y, you will have to remove that pipe stub from the Y at the wall, don't you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks