Toilet waste line advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Micon

Reaction score
In a house I will be moving into next year, I was wanting to rotate a toilet to face E-W rather than N-S.
The floor needed to come out anyway and once it did, I found that the waste dropped vertically into
a 90°, went South a couple of feet, then another 90° vertical drop to another 90°, then under the
foundation wall at an angle to the lateral(?). The first 2 90s forming an 'S' were of ABS and the rest
to the lateral was nasty old cast iron. See picture. I decided to replace everything with plastic.

So, I have questions...
Is there a better way to do this than a straight plastic-for-metal swap, preserving the original configuration?
Can I do what is shown in the 3rd picture, with 45°s?

A (1).jpg

A (2).jpg

A (3).jpg

Thank you for looking.

Micon

Reaction score
Anytime you replace a 90 with a 45 there it's going to be better.
You should have a vent for that line too.

Terry, thanks for the quick reply and good advice.
I have searched thousands of images over the last couple of days and have not seen any waste plumbing
that is at an angle to the vertical as much as 45°. It makes sense to me to shortcut the two legs of the triangle
and use the hypotenuse. Is there any reason that this is not done?
That was the whole reason for my post: I haven't seen this configuration implemented. How come?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have searched thousands of images over the last couple of days and have not seen any waste plumbing
that is at an angle to the vertical as much as 45°. It makes sense to me to shortcut the two legs of the triangle
and use the hypotenuse. Is there any reason that this is not done?
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....connect-drain-to-main-stack-after-vent.83115/ was the latest. It is often done. It may even take more skill to implement, but I am not sure on that. I am not a plumber.

Reasons it might not be done include it can take more walking space away in a basement, or require more digging with a slab or crawlspace.

Regarding venting, if there is a lavatory, you can often combine that to wet-vent the toilet.

Micon

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....connect-drain-to-main-stack-after-vent.83115/ was the latest. It is often done. It may even take more skill to implement, but I am not sure on that. I am not a plumber.

Reasons it might not be done include it can take more walking space away in a basement, or require more digging with a slab or crawlspace.

Regarding venting, if there is a lavatory, you can often combine that to wet-vent the toilet.

Reach4, thanks for the link. OK, so it is do-able. BTW, there is no basement, slab, or even crawlspace.
There is no access to the underside of the bathroom from outside or unless the floor is removed.
The existing vent is outside the foundation wall, up the house exterior wall, through the roof.
The toilet is the only fixture on the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks