Toilet Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Kamil

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding two toilets that are on the same horizontal drain pipe. The toilets are back to back in two separate bathrooms. As you can see on the picture toilet#2 is vented but I am not sure if toilet #1 needs a vent as well and if it does how would one do it while staying within the joist bay? The 3" drain continues horizontally picking up a sink and a shower downstream. Thank you very much for your help.

Toilets.jpg

SterileCuckoo58

Reaction score
Would that 2" vent still work if the Y were rolled to 45º (with 60º bend) and run at 1/4"/ft for 4.5 ft, then turned up? (Under the UPC). How about if it were a wet vent receiving two lavs., perhaps 3" Ø.

I did put a 3" dry vent in place down stream of the D/S toilet (because I thought I could and there is only one way to know for certain), but it is >72-in. from the U/S Toilet flange. It will work for the D/S one, and for any future pumped Basement bathroom.

I assume the minimum distance from trap weir to vent is met because the trap weir is at the flange, but some other diagram may suggest it is from the D/S end of the closet bend. Then I am concerned I do not have 2 x D or 6-in.

As originally plumbed, it was 10-ft to the Y with the vent connection, and it ran flat 4-ft to the vertical vent.

Attachments

• 1.5 Bath Group Re-pipe Re-vent.pdf
    152.7 KB · Views: 143

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would that 2" vent still work.
Your diagram is a bit too busy to be clear to me, and your comment about 1/4" per foot with respect to an apparently vertical pipe doesn't make sense. However, here are a couple comments based on the UPC; I didn't check if MA has amended anything relevant.

For the UPC, the diagram in the OP is not allowed, because wet venting is limited to one bathroom group (and because the vent takeoff would need to be a wye or combo, not a san-tee on its back). As regards what I understand of your layout, you could wet vent your upstream WC with the double lav, and then vent the downstream WC with the 3" vent you show nearby, before that downstream WC drain joins the double lav and upstream WC drain.

Cheers, Wayne

SterileCuckoo58

Reaction score
Your diagram is a bit too busy to be clear to me, and your comment about 1/4" per foot with respect to an apparently vertical pipe doesn't make sense. However, here are a couple comments based on the UPC; I didn't check if MA has amended anything relevant.

For the UPC, the diagram in the OP is not allowed, because wet venting is limited to one bathroom group (and because the vent takeoff would need to be a wye or combo, not a san-tee on its back). As regards what I understand of your layout, you could wet vent your upstream WC with the double lav, and then vent the downstream WC with the 3" vent you show nearby, before that downstream WC drain joins the double lav and upstream WC drain.

Cheers, Wayne

Thank you Wayne,

Yes, 1/4" per foot vertically is nonsensical. The Copy/Paste/Edit Fail monster got me.

Not sure what the "diagram in the OP" refers to. But I fixed the tub drain vent (don't know yet if it is feasible).

In the context of wet venting one bathroom group, I think I only want to wet vent the U/S toilet with the two lavs (adjacent bathrooms) upstream.

I don't believe i put any SanTees on their back, although the 3" dry vent connection to the 3" trap arm from D/S toilet would be a SanTee, wouldn't it?

File revised and decluttered.

Attachments

• 1.5 Bath Group Re-pipe Re-vent Ver 2.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 164

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your last drawing looks OK to me. Your 3" vents, both wet and dry, could all be 2".

Not sure what the "diagram in the OP" refers to.
OP = original post.

I don't believe i put any SanTees on their back, although the 3" dry vent connection to the 3" trap arm from D/S toilet would be a SanTee, wouldn't it?
As drawn, it would be an upright combo, not a san-tee on its back. If you want the drain to turn down directly under the vent, you can use a san-tee. But if I'm understanding correctly, you have everything that runs perpendicular to the joists located below the joists in a single (2% angled) plane. So that wouldn't apply to you.

Cheers, Wayne

SterileCuckoo58

Reaction score
Thank you again Wayne.

Kamil's OP looked a bit like what I hoped would have been feasible, but it wasn't built to be. (Of course it is possible to encroach the corner with a vent pipe, but that's way too much work and time). It seemed a good spring board for my variation.

So... a dry vent connected at the top (or 45º from top) would be connected with a Y and 45 (or combo)? I suppose that would allow it to become wet some day, perhaps a shower drain.

Keep well

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sterilecuckoo58, from top of closet flange measured along center line to inside edge of vent needs to be under 6 ft for code.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose that would allow it to become wet some day, perhaps a shower drain.
Yes, the rule in the UPC is that any vent piping that is below the flood rim level of the fixture (including the takeoff) has to be of a drainage pattern.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks