Toilet Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I'm trying to design my bathroom keeping plumbing code in mind. Where I'd like to put the toilet is 10' from the stack which prompted me to look into venting requirements.
How can there be so much discrepancy between the all the plumbing codes related to DWV of a toilet?
IPC - vent when it gets to the stack regardless of drain length; 6 feet to 60 feet, same requirements.
UPC - vent within 6'
MA vent within the standard pipe size requirements; 8' on a 3" drain, 10' on a 4".
I'm sure there are others as well.
Some reputable folks here say the toilet does not need to be separately vented because the siphon is meant to be cleared anyway and the vent is only to protect the siphon. Not saying that their saying to skirt the code but an intermediate location of a vent is technically not needed for the toilet to drain effectively.
It seems to me that the physics of this is something that we should have nailed down by now. How can IPC be correct for some parts of the country and not others?
I would love to see a test using transparent PVC of all these scenarios.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually home toilets are wet-vented. So bringing the vented lavatory in works to do that job.

You are interested in the theory of it all. For a toilet, a big job of venting is to keep a big air pressure wave from slowing down the bolus of the flush.

As to why the laws of physics work differently in California or Ontario or Indiana, that's the way it is. Some is evolution of rules and knowledge. Some is to make work.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
"Some is to make work."
Interesting point. I wonder how much of code is driven by politics as opposed to the mechanics of making plumbing work efficently and safely.
Union vs. non-Union states or license required vs. no license required states.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of how our democracy works is by little experiments. Each jurisdiction gets to come up with by and large their own set of rules. Eventually a lot of things get weeded out as impractical, dumb or whatever. Bits and pieces of what has been proven to work (and some to the contrary) is added to others laws nearby and etc til soon, the best(or not) is more prevelant or failed systems are abandoned. The plumbing code is the same, its a set of rules that are adopted into law with little experiments in sanitation running all over the country and the world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks