Toilet Upgrade Time

Users who are viewing this thread

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Having the flooring redone in the bathrooms , both bathrooms have the original 1984 5 gpf toilets.

What would the census here say on a new replacement ?
Let it be known ,,, I've been known to plug a commercial toilet a time or two... lol

In the general bathroom wife wants a standard height round seat toilet .
In the MB I want a taller one and elongated seat toilet.

Does Home Depot / Lowes sell a decent Brand toilet ?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Consensus is the new toilets flush better than the old ones, despite using less water.

There are good toilets available via the places you said. You will need to check the rough in. The 12 inch rough in gives you the most choices. In shopping, after matching the rough in, and good flushing, what is your next criterion? Low price or good looking with your wife the judge?

OFDPOS

Reaction score
As she puts it "this is not our forever home"
So appearance is not a big concern , I get "you get what you pay for " but dang $500 plus for a toilet ! WOW !
Yes it has the 12 inch rough in.

Her two main wants is standard round seat and height and the flush handle has to be on the side not in front.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Standard height round at Home Depot? Kohler Classic Wellworth.

k-11464-01.jpg

Kohler K-11464

cst743e-01.jpg

And I sell a bunch of these, but not from a home center.

CST743E TOTO Drake

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Terry , which one between the two would you recommend ?
HD has the Kohler K-11464 in stock for $154.oo
Lowes ,Have to order the TOTO CST743E TOTO Drake but would be here in time .. for $223.94
(for some reason HD only shows the TOTO in Sedona Beige or Ebony Has to be white..

Looks like would have to purchase the seat separate with the TOTO .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry , which one between the two would you recommend ?

The TOTO has a slight edge in flushing, though not a deal breaker by any means. For many it's about how it looks, and others how much performance they are looking for. I think she will be happy either way.

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Thank you , I'll go with the Kohlor since they have it in stock and if any concerns can have another one on hand instead of if ordered and there is a problem we won't have it in time.

The flooring outfit part of the install is to remove and install toilet.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you replace a toilet, you usually want to replace the supply line. You sometimes want to replace the stop valve and escutcheon. You may want to buy that too, and install the potential new stop valve and escutcheon in advance.

They probably supply the new wax.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have not used the Fluidmaster seal yet.
I'm a wax ring guy. I carry two types of wax rings, the regular and the one with the horn.
Most of the time, the flange is too low. In that case I drop a regular wax down and then place a ring with horn down.
Sometimes the flange is high enough, and one ring does it. If the flange is too high, then the regular wax, no horn.

I drop the bowl down first to check to see if it will need shimming. I place shims if needed, pull the bowl, drop the wax down and then set the bowl.
I shim at the back, not the front.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a close look at the Kohler from the side and follow the waste path...Kohler tries to make it turn a sharp 90-degree turn into the drain. Toto rotates it in the toilet so the outlet is pointing nearly straight down into the drain. May not be a problem for everyone, but sharp turns slow things down and potentially, for some people, can be a source of clogs. There's a reason why Toto is one of the largest international toilet makers, making Kohler look like a small town outlet.

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Digging up an old post here, but wanted to do a my take on the Kohler toilets I had replaced .
Both toilets had same part #'s one bowl was shaped different than the other.
Didn't notice it until went to clean them a week later , but no big deal and they did the job intended for.

With in 2 months even tho weekly cleaning of bowls they both started showing bowl rings .
Tried several other cleaners (all non abrasive ) with no success and after watching some you tube videos on the very same thing I had going on.
The bowls are pitted , the best product I could find to clean the ring was Bar Keepers Friend cleanser and a light blue scouring pad .
I used one of those you fill up the handle with dish soup then use it to clean dishes etc.

They would stay clean for about 2-3 weeks before starting to show up again. about 80% Black spots in the ring .
After initial cleaning , spots were still there (pitted) So had to use the scouring pad/Bars Keeper's Friend

But they did do the job and never had a clog !

Sold the house and have moved .
The new to us house was built in 2000 , original toilets.
Both are Mansfield and tall , wife wants a comfort height replacement.
Both toilets its a 50/50 chance on me plugging them up !

So need to replace both , one tall and one comfort height. Both elongated

Any new updates on Toilets and or suggestions ?
If still between the Kohler and Toto ? May try the Toto's ?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you consider a water softener to help with deposits. Also, don't let it mellow for long.

Regarding toilets, considerations include your price sensitivity and if the rough-ins are the common 12 inches.

I would presume that chair height and extended bowls are good with you.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The porcelain finish on a toilet shouldn't be pitted unless a harsh chemical cleaner was used and left overnight or several nights like our cleaning crew at our office does. I know Toto is really proud of their Cefiontec super slick porcelain

I've been using the Toto Drake dual flush for about a year now and have Only used the low flush as an experiment to see if it does the trick. I have never had to flush 2x to clear the bowl, tho once I thought I was going to need to.. but it cleared.

I too, like Terry sell a LOT of both the Kohler and Toto toilets and have had zero complaints from customers on either. In our office we have a Toto in the mens room and a Toto Neorest in the womens. I can't recall ever needing to plunge them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks