Toilet trapway sludge buildup

Users who are viewing this thread

Elbow

Reaction score
10 year old toilet started to not flush properly about a year ago and stopped almost completely 2 days ago. couldn't run a snake through the drain so i replace the toilet. Broke the old one at the trap way and it was plugged with sludge in the trap way above the water line with buildup all the way to and into the drain. What can be done

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have lime in your water? That can start coating things. Also the salt in urine if the bowl isn't flushed every time. I had to convince my mother to flush more often because she was getting salt crystals in her pipes.
I have also heard of people using CLR on their bowls, but have never done that. I'm on soft city water so cleaning every two weeks is all I do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks