Toilet Tank Water Won't hold

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
My toilet often runs as if it were just flushed. Also I can hear water trickling. The floor is dry. Today I did a test by flushing the toilet, letting the tank fill and shutting off the water supply line to see if the water in the tank would maintain its level. I checked it less than 2hrs later and the water was almost completely drained. What do you think the problem is?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sure sounds like a flapper problem. It is awfully soon for the flapper to be bad, more likely it's not seating properly.

Donn2390

Reaction score
If you put some of that junk in the tank they sell under the pretense of keeping the bowl clean, most of those chemicals will destroy the rubber parts in a hurry...

theplumber

Reaction score
Also check the handle and makes sure it's not holding up the flapper just above the sealing point. Another thing to check is the chain itself and how it rests. If you have too much slack, it can get under the flapper and keep it from sealing. You want just a little bit of slack when in the closed sealed position, no slack and you can run into a sticky handle holding the flapper up too high to seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks