Toilet tank water looks shiny

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by h22lude, Oct 11, 2018.

1. h22lude

h22lude New Member

I'm on a well with no filtration system. The water seems to be pretty clean but all the water sitting in the toilet tanks have a shine to the top of it. What could cause this?

Water test if this helps

Color - Apparent....0
    Turbidity................0.160
    Odor - TON............0
    pH...........................5.54

Calcium Hardness as CaCO3......5.17
    Chloride.......................................4.45
    Chlorine - Total Hardness...........<.05
    Nitrate as N.................................0.256
    Nitrite as N..................................<.01
    Sulfate as SO4..............................6.61

Calcium...............2.07
    Manganese..........0.0403
    Iron......................<.05
    Sodium.................3.66

Total Coliform.....absent
    E-Coli...................absent

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is the biggie. Make sure that does not go through metal pipes.

Manganese..........0.0403 is just below where they think might cause a taste problem.

Regarding the shine on the water, is that 2 hours after you flushed the toilet, or two weeks?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

Yeah that PH is really low. Which means your water is high acid. That’ll eat a copper pipe in no time. If you get blueish greenish rings in your toilet, that’s copper residue. You can get a tank to treat it but then your water hardness goes up. So then you need a softener. It’s a scam. Lol. I guess I didn’t answer your question about the shiny water. I have no idea on that.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It is possible to inject potassium hydroxide solution in a metered way to neutralize, and that does not raise the hardness.

6. h22lude

h22lude New Member

I believe the only metal pipes are the ones connected to the pressure tank. After the tank is all PEX. I do want to get a pH neutralizer to raise the pH.

I'm not sure on the time frame of the shine. I will use a toilet and then check after a few hours to see if it is there.

Edit: Maybe the pipes connected to the shower valves are copper? I don't see any green or blue stains anywhere yet.

No copper that I know of. All PEX expect for a few pipes attached to the pressure tank.

Yeah my hardness will go up but my water is really soft without a filter so I think it should be ok. If I does increase it a lot and I wouldn't be opposed to a softener. Obviously more money but as long as my water is good, I'm ok with spending the money upfront.