Toilet tank water looks shiny

Users who are viewing this thread

H22lude

Reaction score
I'm on a well with no filtration system. The water seems to be pretty clean but all the water sitting in the toilet tanks have a shine to the top of it. What could cause this?

Water test if this helps

Color - Apparent....0
Turbidity................0.160
Odor - TON............0
pH...........................5.54

Calcium Hardness as CaCO3......5.17
Chloride.......................................4.45
Chlorine - Total Hardness...........<.05
Nitrate as N.................................0.256
Nitrite as N..................................<.01
Sulfate as SO4..............................6.61

Calcium...............2.07
Manganese..........0.0403
Iron......................<.05
Sodium.................3.66

Total Coliform.....absent
E-Coli...................absent

Reach4

Reaction score
pH...........................5.54
That is the biggie. Make sure that does not go through metal pipes.

Manganese..........0.0403 is just below where they think might cause a taste problem.

Regarding the shine on the water, is that 2 hours after you flushed the toilet, or two weeks?

Last edited:

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Yeah that PH is really low. Which means your water is high acid. That’ll eat a copper pipe in no time. If you get blueish greenish rings in your toilet, that’s copper residue. You can get a tank to treat it but then your water hardness goes up. So then you need a softener. It’s a scam. Lol. I guess I didn’t answer your question about the shiny water. I have no idea on that.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can get a tank to treat it but then your water hardness goes up. So then you need a softener. It’s a scam.
It is possible to inject potassium hydroxide solution in a metered way to neutralize, and that does not raise the hardness.

H22lude

Reaction score
That is the biggie. Make sure that does not go through metal pipes.

Manganese..........0.0403 is just below where they think might cause a taste problem.

Regarding the shine on the water, is that 2 hours after you flushed the toilet, or two weeks?

I believe the only metal pipes are the ones connected to the pressure tank. After the tank is all PEX. I do want to get a pH neutralizer to raise the pH.

I'm not sure on the time frame of the shine. I will use a toilet and then check after a few hours to see if it is there.

Edit: Maybe the pipes connected to the shower valves are copper? I don't see any green or blue stains anywhere yet.

Yeah that PH is really low. Which means your water is high acid. That’ll eat a copper pipe in no time. If you get blueish greenish rings in your toilet, that’s copper residue. You can get a tank to treat it but then your water hardness goes up. So then you need a softener. It’s a scam. Lol. I guess I didn’t answer your question about the shiny water. I have no idea on that.

No copper that I know of. All PEX expect for a few pipes attached to the pressure tank.

Yeah my hardness will go up but my water is really soft without a filter so I think it should be ok. If I does increase it a lot and I wouldn't be opposed to a softener. Obviously more money but as long as my water is good, I'm ok with spending the money upfront.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks