Toilet tank bolts leaking??

Users who are viewing this thread

HalM

Reaction score
Good morning.

What is the best way to fix and prevent toilet tank bolts from leaking?
I have recently heard it recommended to insert the bolt with a rubber washer, then install a metal washer and nut right under the tank, then mount the tank to the bowl. This seems reasonable and good but, some of the toilets I have looked after don't seem to have enough room under the tank for that extra washer and nut.

Thanks for the help.
Hal

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Doing it as shown in the picture ensures you will have the bolt tight enough to prevent leaks from the tank as long as you don't put another washer inside the tank! Otherwise, as the big seal at the center of the tank and the rubber washer under the bolts holding it together over time will compress, and potentially allow a leak. That usually doesn't happen, but that extra nut and washer should eliminate that small possibility.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I went nuts one day where I could not get a tank from leaking after replacing the overflow and new bolts. Inside the tank it's one rubber washer under the bolt, outside is your choice but your picture shows what is usually correct. My problem was not noticed by me, a SS washer was stuck under the rubber washer when I installed it. I rebuilt the entire toilet trying to stop this leak until I removed the bolt to replace the rubber washers.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
rubber washer only on top, bottom generally is metal only but you can put rubber on bottom . the idea of metal against china makes me nervous but that's how I see it and do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks