Toilet supply line and fill need replaced as they are 20 years old and both leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim's wife

Reaction score
Shut off is soldered on...and I can't solder. So I've cut it off, and cleaned the pipe, but theres a sizeable "blob" of old soldered on the under side.
My concern is that it will interfere with my Sharkbite.
I've used a rasp and emery cloth to reduce the blob, but do I need to remove it down to absolutely smooth, like the cleaned copper is.

Four months ago I had to do this identical thing, and the Sharkbite is holding well.

Really need this fixed because I'd like a shower. Lol
Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've used a rasp and emery cloth to reduce the blob, but do I need to remove it down to absolutely smooth, like the cleaned copper is.
I think it needs to be that smooth, but rasp and emery cloth are not the tools to do that.

I think somebody will need to use a torch to melt the solder, and then quickly wipe the solder off, unless you can cut back the pipe to where there is not a blob, and still have enough clean pipe sticking out.

I am not a plumber. You may need one.

Jim's wife

Reaction score
That would be ideal, but the water supply pipe is not long enough.

As I said I had the identical issue four months ago which I fixed on another toilet, which is holding well. But wanting an experienced persons opinion of whether the copper must be completely smooth for the Sharkbite. Im aware it cant have any burrs. :)

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually whittle the majority of the blob off with a utility knife, then holding the blade perpendicular to the pipe, scrape it down smooth, then sand. Never had a leaking problem doing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks