Toilet supply cannot be roughed 6" to the left, ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gslenk

Reaction score
Seems like I have two options:
One: ~8" left, should work with any toilet, might be unsightly, live with it...
Two: ~3" left, much more hidden, someone might end up cursing me (myself included) for tight clearances, might not be compatible with some toilet manufacturers.
Three: Any other creative ideas? :)

Attachments

• IMG-5020.jpg
    IMG-5020.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 158

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. Left with respect to somebody standing in front of the toilet?
  2. Left in the photo, where the wall behind the toilet is on the left?

I suspect #2. and if that is the case, do you have a joist about under the line that says "SPACE PANELS 1/8 INCH" at about the 4.25 inch mark on the tape?

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
One is best

3. Mount it to the right of the toilet and use a longer hose
4. Through the floor

Gslenk

Reaction score
  1. Left with respect to somebody standing in front of the toilet?
  2. Left in the photo, where the wall behind the toilet is on the left?
I suspect #2. and if that is the case, do you have a joist about under the line that says "SPACE PANELS 1/8 INCH" at about the 4.25 inch mark on the tape?

On the other hand, moving the flange ~8 inches toward the back wall would not work with most toilets. So I am not sure what you are describing.

I guess the photo is vague in context. The back wall at at the top of the photo. Far left is a tub apron, 18" from the toilet center. There is blocking marked in brown, I briefly forgot about, so 8" is out of the question and it would be a really tight fit to sneak in a line at 7" without burning PVC during sweat in. No joist under the words "space panels..."

Attachments

• IMG-5020.jpg
    IMG-5020.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 154

Gslenk

Reaction score
One is best

3. Mount it to the right of the toilet and use a longer hose
4. Through the floor

Of those two, definitely to the right would win for me.

So its looking like 3" to the left, or ~6" to the right. I am beginning to think to the right might be the winner, as long as it is reasonably standard in this situation.

Gslenk

Reaction score
Would a right side rough in limit toilet selection, say for skirted toilets, would there be room to run the extended line behind?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been roughing in my supplies at 8" left of center for the last ten years. It works with more toilets.

In the picture it might have been 7"

flange_03.jpg

ms974_02.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to be 8" left of center for the toilet supply, can't you come up through the floor in the stud bay with the PVC cement can, and then 90 through the stud?

You mentioned soldering, so you could presolder the joints near the PVC stack and install those pieces as a single assembly. You could notch the stud (up to 25% of stud depth for a load bearing wall, 40% for a non-bearing wall) to lay in the assembly. Or you could drill a somewhat oversized, somewhat angled hole so that you can insert the horizontal leg of the assembly at an angle to clear the PVC stack and then turn into its final position.

Cheers, Wayne

Gslenk

Reaction score
Seems like I still have plenty of options :)

I forgot to post the joist/blocking image earlier. The space 8" to 11" to the left has blocking underneath, so I'd have to come up ~11-12" to the left, then 90 over to the right, if that helps narrow down options. Gotta think about how often I want/care to see the turn off valve near the bathtub.

Last edited:

Gslenk

Reaction score
Curtain, maybe, if I don't go glass slider. Brush/trash can would likely go on the other side (right side), between the vanity and toilet. That's the main reason I like the right side supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks