Toilet slow to flush. Help pls

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Wright

Reaction score
When the toilet is draining slowly, once you can clear it, remove it and check the state of the drain line below. Or, if you have a fiber-optic video thing, you might use that to check what's going on beneath the toilet.

Generally, the reasons for a toilet to drain slowly fall into one of the following:
- there's a clog in the toilet
- the drain line is full for some reason (typically, a clog, or it could be s slope issue - might be more of those roots that are affecting your tank also in your drain line(s)

Thanks for the suggestions.

The toilet I have on now is brand new, never used. So I'm sure the toilet itself is fine.

When I had the toilet off to replace, I checked the vertical pvc pipe going from bottom of toilet to main horizontal pvc drain pipe under my house in the crawl space. Used a flashing and shined it up through the bottom. My wife inside the house could see the light easily.

My other toilet is connected to the same horizontal main drain pvc pipe. It flushes fine. My other toilet is located in our master bedroom and the drain goes through the pipe that my hall toilet is located. Hall toilet is the one that doesn't flush. Hall toilet comes down a vertical pvc pipe into a "T" fitting that connects to the main septic drain and our master bedroom toilet.

If there was a root blocking the main septic drain. I don't see how my other toilet would still be able to flush. Also wouldn't my dishwasher, sinks, shower, and washer machine have slow draining symptoms also?

Only thing I haven't checked yet was my toilet vent pipe. Could that be a possible issues Thats causing my toilet to drain slow? Bit sketchy getting up there myself so I have a plumber coming this Tuesday. I did about all that I know. Hopefully he can find the problem.

I'll continue to keep you guys posted. I really do appreciate all the help so far! Thanks guys.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Vents don't normally slow a drain line. The toilet drain should connect to the main with a Y, not a T, though.

Danny Wright

Reaction score
Last update since problem is now resolved.

Plumber just came and ran a electric snake down the hole where the toilet was.

Ended up clearing a clog about 10ft from the out side of house in the main septic drain. I asked if it could be a root clogging the line. He doesn't think so as his electric snake usually pulls up debree from roots. Also how easily he punched through the clog makes him think it was other stuff.

Vernho

Reaction score
Not sure on the model. But the make is Kohler 1.6gal I believe
I had trouble with mine, worked great for about a year or so, then would not evacuate the bowl when flushed unless the handle was held down. Was prepared to install new toilet, then found the problem. The hole in the front of the bowl ( I think is called the siphon) was encrusted with a calcium build up. The size of this opening is critical, I could not Insert my finger into the opening, after chipping away the crusted deposits viola, the toilet functioned just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks