Toilet size

Users who are viewing this thread

Emilia

Reaction score
I live in an older home in Hawaii that is single wall construction. The concrete foundation of the house extends into the bathroom by 4" wide and 7" high. Our 1952 toilet needs to be replaced and I can't find a toilet that will fit because the design of new toilet bowls extend too far to the rear and there is no clearance between the back of the toilet bowl and the foundation. We need a toilet with a clearance of 7 3/4" at the rear with a 12" rough-in. We spoke to a Toto technician and he jokingly said we probably could use a toilet with an 8" rough-in, which doesn't exist as far as we know. We are interested in Toto toilets but at this point, we will consider any toilet that will fit the space and has a good performance record. Our plumber has looked at our situation and agrees that we have a problem. Any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We can't correlate the 7 3/4" at the rear and 12" rough. Are you saying that there is only about 8" behind the pipe, even though the pipe is 12" from the wall if you measure higher?

Emilia

Reaction score
That's correct. There is only about 8" from the pipe to the foundation that extends in behind the toilet.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That's correct. There is only about 8" from the pipe to the foundation that extends in behind the toilet.

Is that from the center of the pipe or from the end of the flange?

John

Emilia

Reaction score
I want to thank those who answered my post. Your questions have helped me to understand what measurements I need to ask for when l contact the different toilet manufacturers or dealers. It is so difficult to explain my situation. I have looked at toilets on several websites and checked specifications but most do not give the measurement I need. The ones that do, the distance is not enough. I'm hoping there is a toilet out there that will give me the clearance I need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks