Toilet Shut Off Valve (won't fully shut)

Users who are viewing this thread

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
This is my toilet valve. When I fully close the valve it still lets a lot of water through.
Does it need an adjustment or do I need to replace it?

I turned off the main water supply and I can totally loosen and remove the nut (packing nut?) at the end of the valve and pull out the threaded valve stem.

The question is can I replace the part (threaded valve stem) or make an adjustment to fully shuts off water to the toilet fill valve.

Attachments

• IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 696
  • IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,054

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd advise replacing the valve. Sure, you might repair it, but the parts and time would hardly be worthwhile. Get the type valve that is a 1/4 turn. Toilet valves should always be in full on and the 1/4 turn makes this easy to turn on and off. These valves are available in both compression and solder connections. While you are at it, replace the supply line from the valve to the toilet.

brasscraft-shutoff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I went to a job today in a large warehouse, and one of the toilet shutoffs would not fully shut. It was close to shutting off, but still some good flow going through. It was a manufacturing place, and I figured I would devise a way to replace their toilet without shutting down the building. More than likely we will need to find a quiet time to add a new shutoff at some point.

glove-shutoff.jpg

I cut the end of a finger off this rubber glove and let it hold the old toilet shutoff tightly closed while I worked on getting the toilet ready to set.
They did have a floor drain in the bathroom, but I was able to transfer over with only a little water being spilled/sprayed. As most plumbers know, there isn't really a 7/8" valve you can stick in the end of a toilet supply.
But come to think of it, and I've done this one too, I could have swapped out the toilet supply with a lav supply and a standard 1/2" sillcock.
Sure, I could have done that too. Now that I'm back at my desk and the worry about shutting the water off isn't so pressing.

glove-shutoff-terrylove.jpg

So yeah! It's done and working. Now I just need to set up a time to replace the shutoff at the wall sometime.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Interesting, Terry, that you consider the Entrada to be well-enough made -- and to function well-enough -- to stand up to the regular use of a commercial installation. That's a pretty-good endorsement. I know you felt the same way about the Drake, and the trapway design and basic functionality (parts, etc.) of the two are basically-similar.

And I know you wouldn't install anything that isn't up to the task, because like all pros, you don't want to have to come back or have the customer unhappy.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Interesting, Terry, that you consider the Entrada to be well-enough made -- and to function well-enough -- to stand up to the regular use of a commercial installation. That's a pretty-good endorsement.

It's my entry level toilet I go with. The tall height works well in public bathrooms too. The two I pulled out had quit working. I wonder what their water bill was.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks