Toilet Shut-off Replacement with Chrome Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Gutch92

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm replacing a toilet, and ultimately realized the shut off valve is in bad shape and has a rusted flange ect. I wanted to replace this, but before I did, I had a few questions since I've never replaced these before. I've used compression valves on previous projects, but I want to avoid the look of just copper pipe out of the floor. It's exactly the kind linked below that comes out of the floor and is soldered into place with the chrome extension and flange. I have purchased a replacement of the same type to install in it's place.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...-Flange-CS41BX-C1/202047065?N=5yc1vZbbl6Z12ky

When removing this valve, I imagine I just heat the chrome portion / copper where soldered and use some pliers to work the connection free? Will the flame / heat have any effect on the tile since it's so close to the floor? Would you recommend a heat shield / cloth to help?

After removing the old and putting the new on the stub, how do you support it effectively to solder it? Being vertical, I imagine it will just fall to the floor leaving no room to solder.

Simple questions that I just want to be prepared for before shutting off the water mains to do it. I could not find any good how-to's online for this.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks