Toilet Sewer Odor Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

bef

Reaction score
I bought a brand new apartment that had just been built 6 years ago. All around the toilet, except for the back, they applied a clear silicone seal.

I guess the silicone seal deteriorated over the years, and I ended up smelling a slight sewer odor when I smelled near the side of the toilet this winter. It is clear tha the odor came from under the toilet.

I thought the toilet wax seal might have needed to be replaced. This is the only toilet in the house (no backup plan!), and I never did such repairs, so I called a plumber. That first plumber didn't knew how to remove my toilet (!?), so he left after 2 minutes.

So I called a second plumber. He removed the silicone seal, removed toilet and left it standing up on the floor, and showed me what was underneath it:

bef-01.jpg

Then he explained that this toilet was wax-free, so that there wasn't much he could do. That he had no clue where the odor came from, but that the good news that that there was no water leak under the toilet - I was worried about that possibility. He didn't underneath the toilet itself, so I'm not sure how he knew everything was fine.

Now I'm not sure how the toilet is supposed to make an hermetic contact with that drain on the floor. He just left the toilet standing on the floor so I don't think that there was anything special underneath it. Then, he reinstalled the toilet and left. So I basically paid $140 to have someone remove and reinstall the toilet without doing much more.

Now that the silicone is no longer there though, the sewer smell is stronger than before, and not as subtle as it used to be. And again, it is clear that the smell comes from under the toilet.

As the pictures show, there is no water leak under the toilet. I might as well cleanup the silicone that's left and make a new silicone seal all around the toilet and forget about it. Not sure what I should do and/or if I should be worried.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Reaction score
Please post one photo of the entire toilet so we can identify it, and post a 2nd photo of the underside of the toilet.

The silicone seal is cosmetic and not its job to contain sewage gas that is clearly coming from an improper contact between your toilet horn and your cast iron/lead flange. Flanges like this were popular with old builds, all they did was hammer to flatten out the end of a pipe for the toilet to sit on.

Reach4

Reaction score
Those pictures that standardairconditioner asks for should be useful.

It almost looks like MG_0617.JPG has a green SaniSeal shoved down. And then it is not there in the follow-up pictures.

If this place was built 6 years ago, it is unlikely that this is lead pipe. Are you in the USA?

Is the black stuff a ring of wax? Pictures with the various ad-ons remove might give a better view. Also, when you get in again, note dimensions for width and depth. I suspect the previous owner had problems and fixes were attempted. I don't see a toilet flange. What holds the toilet down?

I think it might be worth comparing notes with neighbors to see if any of them had experience with their toilet mounts

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just from looking at the wax I can tell it was never sealed to the bottom of the toilet. You need to clean it all off the flange and start over with a new wax ring or two if needed. You have to have a good seal between the toilet and the flange. It's a messy job to remove the old wax and put the new ring in place. Replace the brass toilet bolts and snug them to the flange. It helps to have a helper when you set the toilet. Line up everything so the wax does not get deformed when you set the toilet. Press it down and tighten up the bolts.... If you still have a smell it wasn't done right.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Seal that with wax. if the flange is above the floor, it may work with one wax seal. Below finished flooring and it may need two wax rings. Place the wax seal on the floor flange, and lower the bowl over that. If you don't feel it compress the wax, then there isn't a seal.

What is that green thing in the pipe? That does not look right to me. You may want to reach in and pull that out.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In many places, the caulking around the front of the toilet is required. IT does two things:
- helps to anchor the toilet - some surfaces, especially tile, don't have a lot of friction, and you can move the toilet and maybe break things
- maybe more important, it prevents any spills, sprays, etc., from wicking underneath the toilet where you can't clean it, helping to keep things clean and smelling nice.

What brand and model, if you have it, is the toilet that was there? pretty much all that I'm aware of use a wax ring or equivalent, to seal it to the drain. Some may use an intermediate adapter, but the adapter still gets sealed to the toilet flange.

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
... Replace the brass toilet bolts and snug them to the flange....

Am I missing something here? I don't see any bolts on the flange or places where bolts would have been. Is this some different type of connection or is that the problem?

bef

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am located in Canada. The toilet is from a canadian brand (I think) called Rubi. The way the toilet works, there are bolts inserted on its side and that connect to the plastic things that you see on the floor. In any case, the toilet is installed very solidly on the floor, it doesn't move even from a millimeter.

I have removed the toilet again this morning so get pictures of its underneath. I am posting them here. There is a wax ring attached under the toilet itself. I called the plumber who did the job yesterday and he told me that since the odor was still there, he could come by (another $140 though) and replace the wax ring that is attached under the toilet. However, seeing what he did on the first time (i.e. charged $140 to remove and reinstall the toilet the same way), I don't think I would deal with him again - I might as well call another plumber, but now I hope the next one knows what he's doing, because this is going to be the 3rd plumber I will call do fix that odor issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 688
Reaction score
Do not call back any plumber you have used. They are all idiots.

What Terry said in #5 is correct. Take out this silly green thing lodged in your flange.

Wax rings CAN'T BE RE-USED. They cost $1.97 at Reno-Depot for that reason. Discard your old one.

This is how you can fix your problem 100%:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/stacked-sani-seal.65408/#post-485502

If you can't DIY and would like me to do it for you in the Montreal/Laval area, send me a message and I will give you my contact info.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never pulled a toilet and had the wax ring w/horn come up with it. I've always had to scrape the ring off with a sacrificial chisel. The ring in the picture never sealed to the flange. You need to use two rings as suggested by Terry.

Reaction score

bef

Reaction score
BTW
bef,

First I'll need you to pick up these three items:

1. Canadian Tire: PlumbShop Sani Seal Toilet Install Kit
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools...op-sani-seal-toilet-install-kit-0635828p.html

2. Home Depot: Wax Ring Cap
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wax-ring-cap.1000665476.html

3. Rona: "Keracaulk U" Unsanded Acrylic Caulk 311ml - White
http://www.rona.ca/en/acrylic-caulk-21085216--1

KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS.

One quick question - would you be able to do that job completely? Or can you recommend a plumber? It's difficult situation for me as my mother was just transferred to intensive care and I got someone visiting my appartment on Wednesday - i am selling it but there is a sewer smel in the bathroom I must fix before the visit. So I'm short on time and willing to pay for a real pro to fix this correctly... Sending my email address on a PM.

Reaction score
It's actually a very easy job.

If the source of the "sewage" is only at that toilet flange, we can surely seal it 100%.

Your photos show you are able to lift up the toilet on your own, so look at my #12 post. You need to get the materials on your own for the lowest cost. If I get them, I will charge you for my travel time to shop for your things.

Remove your old stupid wax ring. This thing is finished and must go to garbage. Clean your toilet horn and clean the flange. Clean is good for a better seal. Use a bit of bleach, and clean your entire toilet and the floors. A clean bathroom will make you more sensitive to any sewage smell.

Stick the No.2 item on the bottom of your toilet, the white top up, black funnel down, exactly as seen in the photo.

Drop the No.1 item on your floor, the flat part of the seal touches your flange, the round part of the seal faces up, and open the mouth of seal so it tornados down into the drain.

Put the toilet down on it slowly, feel for compression of the seal. Lift up the toilet slowly and put it back slowly, so you are always checking it is aligned properly. You do not need to silicone the toilet yet.

Connect the toilet and flush it once so the toilet's trap is filled with water.

Your sewage smell should be gone. Once you are certain there is no more smell, now you can caulk your toilet with No.3 item.

Can you please tell me your results, and if you still need my help, I will contact you Tuesday 03 Mar 2016? My Monday's are always rough and it would have been impossible for me to come.
Sani-Seal-Waxless-Toilet-Flange-Gasket-Installation-Guide-018.JPG

Last edited:

bef

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for sharing so much information. I ended up being referred to a real good plumber. He came by yesterday evening and did a wonderful job. The issue is finally fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks