Toilet selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom2rn

Reaction score
So, I've read the descriptions and have decided the Drake II is the best selection for me price wise. I prefer a one piece, but the cost goes up. I've seen the term cefiontect glaze on the Toto site. Is that CEFIONTECT? I've also seen tornado and cyclone flush. Are they used interchangeably? I now see 1.2 and 1.0 gpf in the same series. Which should I select as far as the 1.0 or 1.2? Is it worth the extra money for the 1.0 gpf? I do know I want the elongated bowl, height of about 16 inches, CEFIONTECT, white color, and double cyclone flush. I would appreciate clarification please. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've seen the term cefiontect glaze on the Toto site. Is that CEFIONTECT?
Yes.
I now see 1.2 and 1.0 gpf in the same series. Which should I select as far as the 1.0 or 1.2? Is it worth the extra money for the 1.0 gpf?

Ha. What is your objective?

I've also seen tornado and cyclone flush. Are they used interchangeably?
Good question. I can't tell if there is any substance or just marketing.

http://www.totousa.com/tornado-flush™

Tom2rn

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this is for standard household use. I live in the county and have a well and water softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this is for standard household use. I live in the county and have a well and water softener.
I opted for 1.6 when I had the choice of 1.6 or 1.2. With well and septic, you are not wasting water. It all gets recycled. There is a little more salt use with more water per flush, unless you need an additional flush with fewer gpf.

You will still need a toilet brush, but you will probably not need a plunger.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Toto did some rebranding last year. Pointless. They had been calling CEFIONTECT CeFIoNtECt (or whatever stupid capitalization they use) everywhere else in the world except the US. Obviously, the smart person at Toto who decided that they needed a less-stupid name in the US for their nanotechnology finish no longer works there. They had an actual well-known brand with CEFIONTECT. Now they have a dopey name with snark-inviting capitalization that I still can't stop mocking. It's the same thing. Works well. Not a panacea but works well.

Tornado and Double-cyclone. Same thing. Maybe they thought that we don't have cyclones in the US like they do in Asia, so went with Tornado to make it more "local". (They obviously overlooked the fact that one of the oldest and most famous rollercoasters in the US is the Cyclone at Coney Island, where their marketing people have probably never been.) Like I said, it's all marketing, something the Japanese have a history of screwing-up in the US. Remember Datsun? A solid, well-known brand in the US, associated with power and speed, because of the Z-car. "Datsun. We are driven." Thirty-five years since they stopped using Datsun in the US, and I still remember the freakin' slogan. But Nissan decided they wanted a "global brand strategy", so they changed the name to Nissan. They still haven't recovered in the US, and Toyota continues to smoke them.

But I digress. As to the 1G flush vs. the 1.28gpf flush, it's not even close. Get the 1.28. It's not so much about flushing ability as it is about water spot size and bowl wash. If you are somewhere in a drought area and really want to do your part, then the 1G is great. The people that get the 1G in California, for example, love them, and they get high reviews. But the people who get them and love them are willing to accept a tradeoff in water spot and bowl wash for the good feeling they get from using 25 percent less water per flush. In other words, they love them because they are amazed at how well they work on only a gallon of water, not because they work as well as the 1.28. From 1.6 to 1.28, Toto managed to do it without any really-noticeable tradeoff. From 1.28 to 1.0, the tradeoff is noticeable. It works great, but the 1.28 works better. cst454cEfg, not cUfg, is what you want.

Last edited:

Tom2rn

Reaction score
So, I went out and purchased my Drake toilet today at my local plumbing supply house. I got the 1.28 gpf tank. The numbers were a little weird for them because they sell each separately, but it turned out well in the end. Should be installing soon. The guy behind the counter actually recommended the 1.6 gpf. 300 bucks for the whole shebang. I find your comments above very thought provoking. For example, why do we call them hurricanes here on the east cost, yet in Japan it was a typhoon? I used to live there back in the 70's. Yep, marketing did forget about Coney Island. I also had two Datsuns back in the day also. Never did like Nissan. Reminds me of the old VW-Datsun joke. They were each trying to develop a new car and Datsun just happened to come out with their's first. To which the Germans responded in amazement....Dat Soon! I know it's bad. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks