Toilet Seat - Tighten, Change

Users who are viewing this thread

CreeksideCottage

Reaction score
We are shopping for a toilet. To tighten or change a toilet seat on one brand, you have to detach the entire toilet and move it away from the wall. Even the smallest hand/arm cannot fit behind the enclosed trapway type of toilet to reach the seat bolts. The space between the toilet tank and the wall is too small, and you must move your hand and arm around and back toward the front of the toilet. Has anyone else seen this toilet? Is there an easier way to reach and adjust the seat fasteners? Example: American Standard Cadet

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion: don't buy that toilet.

If you buy a skirted Toto like the Ultramax II [EDIT: See below, I meant "Carlyle II"](and I am assuming that you mean a skirted toilet when you mention an "enclosed trapway"), it comes with top-mount seat bolts and an installation kit. No need to reach under anything: the thing is designed to go in and come out solely from the top.

Last edited:

CreeksideCottage

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion: don't buy that toilet.

If you buy a skirted Toto like the Ultramax II (and I am assuming that you mean a skirted toilet when you mention an "enclosed trapway"), it comes with top-mount seat bolts and an installation kit. No need to reach under anything: the thing is designed to go in and come out solely from the top.
Thank you for that information!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You know, I said "Ultramax II", which is not a skirted toilet. I meant "Carlyle II", which we have and which is a skirted version of the Ultramax II. Sorry for any confusion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto supplies the expanding anchors with all of their skirted toilets. But, the seat also comes with 'conventional' bolts. If the installer does not actually read the instructions, they may never see the expanding anchors, and use the conventional bolts, making future maintenance a major pain!

You can buy similar expanding (rubber) anchors at a good hardware store if you have a toilet that doesn't come with them, and you have a seat that doesn't have the bolts permanently fixed to the hinge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks