Toilet running

Users who are viewing this thread

mowin

Reaction score
Hum..

Just installed a new toilet, wax ring and all the bolts etc.

No leaks but every 45 minutes or so the water will run to fill the tank just for a second or so.

New pressure regulator on the incoming main too.

I'm stumped.

thanks!

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Flapper is probably leaking. Add some coloring to the water in the tank (like food coloring or something) and watch to see if it enters the bowl.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the tank filling to the top of the overflow tube? Is it leaking down then the valve opening? If not, then it could be high water pressure.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like pewterpower said, it sure sounds like a leaking flapper. Take your finger and litely run it around the seat of the flapper feeling for a burr or chip / cut in the seat. If that doesn't produce anything you could buy a Korky flapper and replace the flapper in the tank.

mowin

Reaction score
Thank you!

I'll give the flapper a try. I did recently have the pressure regulator for the main replaced.
The hot water heater was leaking out of the pressure relief valve and thought the water heater was bad but it was the regulator. I paid to have a good water heater replaced and a bad pressure regulator replaced. hum...

crazy plumbing..

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I recently hooked to the city water and installed a regulator. My toilet kicks on and runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Problem is the new water hook up with the new regulator is much higher than it was on the old system. I will be adjusting it today to lowe it from near 80 psi down to near 45 psi. This will cure lots of problems for me...including a high water bill.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is water pressure. Turn the supply off and wait. If the water leaks out of the tank then you will know.

80 lbs won't cause a condition like yours. If it is leaking out of the tank then it's related to the flapper, or flush valve. Maybe a crack or the stand pipe may not be glued well.

I had 70-80 lbs water pressure for years and I liked it better that way.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like the higher water pressure too... this is one of those old toilets that the ball drops down to seal the tank....no flapper. I installed a new tank valve which solved the problem of water hammer but when we went on the new water system with higher pressure we started having this on/off problem....so, I kinda think the source of the problem is 95% obvious.

swark

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with my toilet. The tank refills every few minutes. I recently replaced the entire guts in the tank and it still does it. I am going to try the food coloring tonight (good idea) but I don't think it's leaking through the flapper. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

wen

Reaction score
mowin said:
Hum..

Just installed a new toilet, wax ring and all the bolts etc.

No leaks but every 45 minutes or so the water will run to fill the tank just for a second or so.

New pressure regulator on the incoming main too.

I'm stumped.

thanks!

Could be several things wrong, one of them or all of them. Here's what I would do.

Is the water inside the tank at the same level as the overlow tube? If so, than the fill valve is set to shut-off too high. Make an adjustment so the water will shut off about 1" below the overflow tube. You did not mention what kind of fill valve you have. Does it have a float ball with a rod?

If this is not the problem. Do this:
Turn the shut-off valve below the toilet off.
Mark a line on the inside of the toilet tank where the level of the water is with a pencil. Don't use the toilet for an hour or two. Take a look again at the pencil mark. If the level of the water has gone down and is below the pencil mark, the problem is most likely the flapper is not sealing. If the flapper is attached to the ears of the flush valve, make sure they are on totally on and not partially on. Lift up the flapper and look to see if there is any material keeping the flapper from sealing.

Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks