Toilet rough measurements

Users who are viewing this thread

Jennifer

Reaction score
I am building a house and the plumber plumbed for a 13 1/2 “ rough in for one of them and a 13” for the other two. The toilet I want to order has a 12” rough in. Will they work ? My plumber has yet to get back to me about this. Before I ordered I wanted to get an answer of this would work and would it look stupid coming off the wall an inch or inch and half?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. It would be more like 2 inches or so, since there is usually about a 1/2 inch space anyway.

I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is that measured to the studs? Because a lot of plumbers intend to rough at 13" to the studs in case the homeowner surprises him with tile or wainscoting on the back wall.
In the case of the one further out, was he missing a floor joist? I would rather miss the joist and have it drain straight down than to try to offset it which is a different problem.

Will it look stupid? Most toilets have space behind the tank. I don't go into peoples homes to notice things like that. In the 1920's the hung the tank on the wall, and that looks kind of stupid too with the chrome tube draining the tank into a bowl that sits away from the tank. I would rather the tank not touch the wall. If there is any sweating of the tank, that moisture gets picked up by the wall.

In a perfect world, the toilet rough would be 12" from the finished wall. Assuming there are no other factors being dealt with. I started roughing at 12-1/2" from finished wall because there was nobody to till me they would not add to the wall before I came back to set the toilets.

cst744s-terrylove-5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks