toilet rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew M

Reaction score
I am a newbi so bear with me. 2 questions. I am building a new bath from scratch. What size hole do I need in the floor for the toilet ABS ? Second question is more difficult. I have hear people talk about the risk of "Siphon effect" if my vent pipes are not installed exactly correct. Can someone expand on this?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The purpose of the vent on each plumbing fixture is so that a local vacuum does not develop, which would siphon the water out of the trap. The trap is to keep sewer gas out of the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The size hole to leave for a toilet drain is a little subjective. Depends on the type of flange you use and the height of the finished floor and the size of the drain line (3" minimum, 4" typically max). If you use a 4" line, you can butt the flooring up to it directly, since you can buy a flange that will fit inside of the 4" pipe. If you go with 3", then you need enough room outside of the pipe for the taperd part and the thickness of the flange. So, it's hard to give an exact amount.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks