Toilet Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
House is 3 1/2 yrs old, 2nd bathroom toilet started leaking from the tank bolts and I made it worse and I now see a hairline crack in the tank and on the bottom.... Tired of messing with it and want to replace the whole thing..... Here's the thing: It's a 10in rough in (measure 10 1/2) however I have a 1 3/4in gap from the tank to the wall..... Being that 12in rough in is the standard in modern plumping I'm wondering if I can put a 12in rough in toilet back in just fine and the tank would be closer to the wall? Assuming I understand all this correctly??

I can't fathom why they would use a 10in rough in and honestly never noticed the gap. But I'm assuming the gasket got worn out since it will probably being moved slightly as people used the toilet.

For context the master bathroom room toilet (same model) is a 12in rough in (measure about 11 1/2) and the tanks butts up right against the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
When the 10 inch rough toilet left a big gap, I suspect the person tried to adjust/cheat the toilet toward the wall. If that is the case, you might find that the actual rough at the closet flange is a little bigger than what you measure now. So having one of the 12 inch toilets fit seems even more likely.

If you did have a wall-interference problem, you might decide to over-shim the back of the toilet a bit. The user won't feel it, but that would tilt the top of the tank away from the wall a bit. I suspect it will not come to that. That is just a fall-back (or fall-forward) option.

Peterson

Reaction score
I'd get a 12" Rough In toilet and just place it on the flange to see if it fits the space. I'm thinking it will fit, but the tank might be touching the wall or very close to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks