toilet rough-in question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gsensel

Reaction score
I am going to do a full remodel of my bathroom. Practically gut it or gut it (only thing I'm undecided on is the tub). Currently there is a 12 inch toilet installed on a 14 inch rough in. This is contributing to the reason I am need to do work. The toilet has rocked causing it to work lose of the wax ring and is causing the sub floor to weaken making the toilet rock and making the above issues worse. In my remodel I am going to redo the whole sub floor and put in a new toilet. I have asked on another forum and was told it was likely not installed properly to begin with. Based on what I am seeing and learning I agree but this was 1-2 owners ago, so not much I could do as it seemed in good shape 1.5 years ago.

I have seen several people talk about using an off set, but I have also seen people say don't because they do not work and mess up the modern low flow toilets. Others have said they might be against building codes.

This is the general direction I am going for a replacement toilet. Mansfield I like the dual flush because currently I practice yee old "If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" I am a single male so I can get away with it, but I hope in the future that will change. I have also been looking at the Aquia line because it is dual flush as well will it work with the unifit system or are there and dual flushes offered that will?

Also if I can't find a 14 or unifit that fits my wants could I install the 12 inch and then add some sort of support behind it to keep it from having the extra 2 inches of space to prevent it from being able to rock which started this whole issue to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't buy a Mansfield with the EcoFlush by WDI. They fail in six months.

The Aquia can be bought as a 12" CST414M, CST416M, CST464MF or a 10" CST412MF.10
They don't work with the Unifit.
Those toilets would be
Vespin, Carlyle, Carrollton, Pacifica, Soiree, Guinevere, to name a few.

A properly installed toilet doesn't need bracing from a wall or superstructure.
In fact, I prefer that they don't touch a wall.
If the toilet was wobbling, then it was not installed correctly.

Offset flanges are not a good idea, they hamper the flush.
Using a Unifit to move the bowl back is a good idea.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since wax isn't resilient (like rubber), if the toilet rocks, it will squish the wax out of one side, and when it rocks back, the other, then you have gaps and it will leak. the magic formula is to use shims, if required, to keep it stable, oriented before pressing into the wax, so you get a good seal that will last.

If you have plastic pipes, not flushing won't hurt things, but if you do, keep in mind that the concentrated urine (an acid) will eat the pipes eventually...this is not a good idea!

Gsensel

Reaction score
So as long as it is installed good (I have a friend who has done several helping me) and shimmed if needed the 4 inches between the wall and back will be of no issue? Plus at first I was questioning the Aquia based solely on looks but now it really is growing on me.

On the toto site there is a find a retailer link is that the only people who can carry them or can I find them at other businesses?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The link finder is a start.
I sell more Toto than anyone else in Seattle, but I'm not listed either.
Plumbers will have them.

I've sold a few hundred Aquia toilets here. They've been very good.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly installed toilet could sit in the middle of a room...it is not designed to need a wall for support (unless it is say a wall-hung one!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks