Toilet rough in measurement

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Before I glue this all together... is the 12" rough-in measurement for a toilet from the finished drywall or the baseboard trim?
TIA

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every manufacture specifies 12" from the finished wall. The reason for this is because the finish wall dimension should always remain constant. If you used a rough in dimension, the finish wall thickness could change. One reason to have a clear idea of what the finished product will look like. We had a project recently that had tile behind the toilet. OK.. so add for that.. NO.. the tiles projected from the wall 1.5" and fortunately I found the tile specs prior to groundwork
Toilet rough.PNG

Last edited:

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Thanks for this. The illustrations look like they assume no baseboard trim. I just want to make sure I don't have to do some wonky trim mods behind the toilet.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The illustrations look like they assume no baseboard trim. I just want to make sure I don't have to do some wonky trim mods behind the toilet.
Check the spec sheet on your model toilet, often they include a measurement from the base of the wall to the back of the bowl, which is greater than the measurement from the wall to the tank. That will tell you how much room you have for baseboard, at least in one dimension.

Cheers, Wayne

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have a specific toilet yet but perusing the TOTO site, the spacing is all over the place. I'll stick with 12 and pick one that fits.
Tangent thought, I had no idea that you can spend $19k on a toilet; guess I'm not in the that target market.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have a specific toilet yet but perusing the toto site, the spacing is all over the place. I'll stick with 12 and pick one that fits.
Tangent thought, I had no idea that you can spend $19k on a toilet; guess I'm not in the that target market.
I don't know where you guys come up with your price numbers for Neorest. But chances are a $5,000 price, rather than $19,000, won't affect your actions.

As frivolous as it seems initially, people find much more frivolous ways to spend money. This is something that gets used a lot. As wow factors in a bathroom, it's probably great bang for the buck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks