Toilet riser other than Toilevator?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxBlack

Reaction score
We have a several toilets that are efficient and flush fine but if we had our druthers would be a couple inches taller, and while the $$ are not truly our issue I have heartburn about putting relatively new porcelain et al in the landfill.

Apparently there are exactly TWO products on the market to raise an existing toilet, the Toilevator, which as I've looked at it is made of PVC plastic (some think it won't last) and increases height by 3.5" which seems a bit tall to me. Another product is rectangular, looks like a friggin' cat box turned upside-down, and goes even higher at 4".

I wonder if there are any alternatives for retrofitting a toilet a couple inches higher that folks here have tried or heard about. Yeah I realize the tricky part might be making a good connection from the toilet to the existing flange...

attachment.php

toilet-riser-07.jpg
toilet-riser-06.jpg
toilet-riser-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To my knowledge, these have never been discussed on this forum. If you currently are using low flow toilets, why not donate them to Habitat for Humanity, take the tax write off, and buy quality Toto ADA toilets. You will have superior quality toilets that don't look like they are set on cat box turned upside down or other a Mickey Mouse invention.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...I have heartburn about putting relatively new porcelain et al in the landfill...
In most places, stuck out on the curb with a "FREE" sign and they're gone. Put a "$15" sign on them and they will probably go quicker cuz they thing they are worth something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some extra thick seats for a toilet that may work for you as well. I think I'd replace the toilet, though.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Good answers, thanks. I thought I might have missed a riser option, but I guess not. I don't think my neighbors would like my putting them out on the curb, not even for a day (it WOULD be interesting to see how long they'd last, though)! But the donation idea is a good one--our toilets are in perfect shape still.

jadnashua I don't like those raised seats any more than you... :p

P.S. I'd searched here, but now that I look at this thread I see there are "Similar Threads" below where at least one mentions the toilevator. Either our Search engine ain't the best, or I'm losing my touch. I'm willing to accept that it might be the latter...

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The raised seats leave too much without a rinse.
They're horrible.

It would be better to use a riser, better yet to replace the bowl.

Though sometimes you don't have many options.
Wall hung bowls can't be easily raised up, so it's easier to use a taller seat on those.
I do sell plenty of ADA bowls now.

attachment.php

The one on the right is an ADA bowl by Toto

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I had hip replacement several years ago, I used a raised seat. I served the purpose for a short time I could not sit down as low as the regular seat, but it was a real ugly thing to have in the room. Replace the toilet.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In terms of the riser, you could have a fabricaton shop make one of granite, corian, etc. and custom shaped to match the base of your toilet, and the height you want. I am guessing that would cost about the same as good new ada toilet

MaxBlack

Reaction score
you could have a fabricaton shop make one
Even ignoring the cost, I'd have to figure-out a connection to the closet flange. Given the toilet is a 1.6gpm flush and in perfect shape, it makes most sense to give it away and install an ADA--that's what I'll do.

I've a feeling there's a market oppty for nice, porcelain risers of different heights & shapes (to compete w/toilevator), but for my needs a replacement works. And btw has the best WAF too!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've a feeling there's a market oppty for nice, porcelain risers of different heights & shapes.

Of course there is, all you have to do is set up a production line to make about a thousand DIFFERENT models, and hope you can sell a couple of each one at the $1,000 it would cost to make them. As for the old toilets, you put them at the side of the road and put "DO NOT TOUCH" signs on them and they will disappear in a matter of hours.

Last edited:

adrietom

Reaction score
I had a Toilevator installed in 2007 and there have been no problems. Looks the same as the day installed and makes it so much easier to get up and down. I'm purchasing another for my additional bathroom which has a very low toilet!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In FDR's Warm Spring, GA summer White House, his bathroom had what I would call a pre ADA toilet setup. There were some blocks of what appears to be marble under the toilet to raise it. It is much higher than our current ADA toilets, but the President could sit on it are then stand with his braced legs. Quite ingenious for its day. If if was done the 21st century, it would be a hack job. Now, if you are a person content with a hacked job, then go for it, but don't try to put the idea out for a great way to avoid a modern toilet. You can put all the lipstick in the world on a pig, but it will still be a pig.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If if was done the 21st century, it would be a hack job.

If it was done in the 21at century, it would be done by DOD or NASA contractors and cost about $100,000.00.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
MaxBlack: getting into specifics, Toto makes "Universal Height" toilets and a couple that are "ADA height", which is just a smidge taller.

The Universal Height toilets include some great ones like the Drake II, the Ultramax II, the Vespin II (a skirted Drake II), the Carlyle II (a skirted Ultramax II), the Supreme II (a low-rise Ultramax II), the Eco Soiree and the Eco Guinevere. All of those have Toto's Double-Cyclone flush, which swirls the water around the bowl.

The dual-flush, washdown-style Aquia comes in an ADA height, as does the Original Drake (CST744EF).

If you're in the Hill Country, once you decide which exact model and color you want, it would be worth it to get a price quote from both Josco Plumbing Supply or Economy Supply, both in Austin (Economy has locations in a number of Texas cities). Both companies sell and like Toto, and if you just call for a quote you will likely get a fair, almost-online, price. We have heard good things about them from forum participants. Both companies also have showrooms; you may or may not get the same low price if you price stuff out in the showroom...FYI.

SamC

Reaction score
You said your toilets are recent. Does the manufacturer offer ADA bowls for the models you have? If so, you could keep the tanks and just buy new bowls.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You said your toilets are recent. Does the manufacturer offer ADA bowls for the models you have? If so, you could keep the tanks and just buy new bowls.
Replacement parts often end up being one of the least economic choices, if you can find them in a timely fashion, if available at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks