Toilet replacement recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

NKaufman

Reaction score
Am looking to replace toilet mostly used by teens and their friends and S.O. wants to get one that not only flushes strong but to put it delicately - cleans the "toilet bowl wall" up higher than the water level as well. Yes, teens are messy and S.O. is tired of cleaning practically every day.

Looked at Toto as well. However the following link suggests that it might not be as good. A plumber suggests Glacier Bay Power flush toilets

Any thoughts?
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably overly optimistic, but can you train the users to use a toilet brush? Perhaps a sign would be motivation enough.

Use-Toilet-Brush-sign.jpg

Try this Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q="toilet+brush"+"sign"&tbm=isch

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
teens and logic? ;)
For your original question, see this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-2021-upgrades-coming-soon.94930/#post-690755
There are bidet adapters that pre-moisten the bowl to reduce adhesion. $$$

For the sign thing, I expect they surprise you in a good way at times. Maybe ask for help in designing the sign, and that will get more share of mind than just a sign appearing.

Try the search at the bottom of #3. Maybe you could even get guys to sit. That is good courtesy in a home. Or give up on that and add a urinal.

NKaufman

Reaction score
@Terry - What are your thoughts on the plumber who mentions in, the following:

They/them refers to Toto

"They were the best, but I had to quit sellling them because the tornado flush does not flush waste as well as the previous versions. There isn't enough water in the bowl and as a result a lot of the fecal waste just drops onto the porcelain in the bowl which makes the odor much worse and by hitting the porcelain first, it sticks to it and usually does not come off with the first flush. My customers complained about them. Toto made the best toilets on the market and then ruined them by trying to better a product that was already perfect. I was loyal to the brand. Sorry to say I will never sell another Toto toilet."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might also look at other products too.
American Standard Cadet 3 series
Kohler Cimarron and Wellworth

fremont-lookout-2021-01-med.jpg

Fremont Lookout at Mt. Rainier, with a friendly squirrel that hopped up on my leg.

NKaufman

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions.

Will be looking at CST776 models since Toto seems to be the only one with 360 flush that attempts to clean every inch of the bowl.
One - downstairs for the teens + their friends - CSFG = 1.6 flush model
One - kids under 11 - need a regular height toilet so their feet don't dangle.

Are they dual flush 1.6/0.8 or is it the 3-second hold lever that changes from 0.8 to 1.6?
Should one get Toto seats (quite expensive at $60-$70) or is a generic seat good enough?
What parts should I get along with seats?
Since these would be replacing existing toilets that have been there for around 15 years, perhaps I should get new a supply line, wax ring and floor mounting bolt set. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you're talking about a weirdly shaped toilet, there are basically two: round and elongated. Pretty much any toilet seat designed for the type of toilet you have will fit. There are some differences. Only two that I know of are soft-close so they don't go bang in the night: Toto SoftClose and Bemis. Then, your choices are material...wood that can look nasty after awhile, whether a clear finish or painted, or plastic. The differences you may notice are how good the color match is, and how exactly the seat matches the rim of the toilet. A TOto seat on a Toto toilet tends to color match about as good as you can get with plastic and porcelain surfaces being different materials and reflectivity, but that may not be enough for you to want to go for the difference in price. Note, you can often find them at less than list, so don't go off of list price.

It's always a good idea to replace the shutoff and hose/pipe feeding the toilet. Preference for many is a 1/4-turn valve. You might look at Dahl valves...really high quality.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shipping individual toilets is a risky business...they're heavy, and the packaging is designed for them to be strapped to a pallet, not to be shipped individually (except from the supplier to the destination for use, not sale).

FWIW, Terry used to ship toilets, but the damage rate was so high, he has stopped.

Your better bet is to call around to local supply houses and see what prices you can get.

Some places do a decent job of repackaging the toilets, but even then, they don't always make it. Fragile on the box just seems to invite people to drop them off the back of the truck...

NKaufman

Reaction score
Thanks. Damage while shipping was a concern of mine as well.

I knew of Lowe's, Home Depot etc. but need to google local plumbing supply house and check

rest_in_pasta

Reaction score
Toilet Seats - I was looking at Vevano.com that seemed to have the lowest prices for these toilets and the seat is $50
https://vevano.com/product/21197-ss11401-elongated-softclose-toilet-seat-in-cotton-white/

Prices for Toilets (include shipping)
Model: CST776CSG01 --- $239.97

Model: CST776CSFG01 ---- $233.98

Are these good prices for Toilets and is Vevano a reliable company?

I placed an order of CST776 (1.6 gpf) in Colonial White with Vevano. Will see how they package it in comparison to Lowe's distributor (no damage during shipping by UPS).

User786

Reaction score
I placed an order of CST776 (1.6 gpf) in Colonial White with Vevano. Will see how they package it in comparison to Lowe's distributor (no damage during shipping by UPS).
I ordered the same toilets as you. Two of them in total.

They just arrived by AAA Cooper transportation and 4 boxes (2 tanks and 2 bowls) were all nicely shrink wrapped together on a pallet and were delivered in excellent condition as far as the outer boxes look to me. I just tried posting pics but the forum is not allowing me even though I compressed the pics and lowered the resolution very low and made the files small sizes... I'm not sure why @Terry

I have not opened the boxes yet to inspect for any possible internal damage or cracks etc but I will update this post to let you know how everything goes after I unpack the boxes and inspect everything in detail. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to post pics on here

I am really looking forward to having these new toilets installed and functional! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks