Toilet related tenant problem - need advice on water leak usage!

Users who are viewing this thread

sheellah

Reaction score
I signed up with DEP for a leak alert on my home. I just got an alert a few days ago about much higher than usual water consumption. We can hear the water running from the basement in my tenant's apartment. He is vindictive and is in the process of being evicted. I believe he is running hot water on full in his bathtub. It is now running and he is away on a trip.

I just heard from the tenant and he said there was a small leak in his toilet that was causing the problem but I shouldn't worry as it's leaking into the toilet. It's a tank type toilet. The 2 family home's usage went from 300 cf a week to 3,400 cf. a week according to DEP. Could a leaking toilet possibly use that much extra water? I'm also trying to get a readout from the gas company from that time period as we have gas heat for the water.

Please indicate if you're kind enough to reply if you are a plumber. Thanks much!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO!!!! Especially if it were a "small leak" from the tank into the bowl. IF he was away on a trip and you HEARD water running you should have checked the water meter and if it was running, either shut off the water or enter the unit and turn off the faucets.

JMac

Reaction score
With a small leak no... but if the flapper is stuck in the open position, it could.
I'm not sure about the tenant/landlord laws there, but I would think that if you know the tenant is not there and you can hear water running, you should be able to enter the residence to determine and fix the problem, or as HJ said, turn off the water to the residence.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check the landlord/tenant codes about entering your tenants unit to make sure you don't violate any rules and give him any reason to sue you. If you suspect a leak (and your tenant even notified you the toilet was leaking) you have a right to fix it. You might need to give your tenant 24 hours notice if it's not an emergency. If you can hear water running and have no way to notify your tenant through some written method (text or email), consider calling the police and asking an officer to be a witness to you entering to turn off the running water. Seems like a hassle but I've been in court with tenants and a higher water bill is cheaper than attorneys. Good luck with the eviction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks