Toilet refill stops and starts

Users who are viewing this thread

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Ive search all over and cant find a specific mention of this problem. After I flush, as the toilet is refilling, it fills, then stops, fills, then stops until it is full again. The bowl level varies from low to full after flushing. Instead of a steady filling sound of the water, its as if the water is being turned on and off several times as it fills. I also have an irregular flush pattern as the water is exiting the bowl. Instead of a smooth circular flush, it splashes back and forth like the the toilet is being slung back and forth. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Easy answer: you would like a new toilet. The newer ones flush better than they used to.

Why your current symptom happening? You would lift the lid to know for sure. If the water in the tank rises in fits and starts, the problem is the fill valve. Those are cheap and pretty easy to replace.

But still, consider that new toilet. You can get an elongated toilet that is a little higher, which most new toilets are. Plus it will flush more reliably, and will be unlikely to overflow.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I just replaced that dang thing a year or so ago. It still looks new. It was a Korky. Funny thing is, my GF is a realtor and house flipper and thats the same advice she gave me, "Get a new toilet, yours is old and outdated." If its the original, and Im 90% sure it is, it would be roughly 26 years old. At its youngest, its 12 yrs old. Again, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it!

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I just replaced that dang thing a year or so ago. It still looks new. It was a Korky. Funny thing is, my GF is a realtor and house flipper and thats the same advice she gave me, "Get a new toilet, yours is old and outdated." If its the original, and Im 90% sure it is, it would be roughly 26 years old. At its youngest, its 12 yrs old. Again, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it!
It is possible there is a different thing happening. Suppose there was two problems: the bowl refill amount was to low (it is adjustable in some fill valves), AND the flapper leaks. The water level in the tank drops. The fill valve turns on, and you hear it. It also adds another dose to the bowl. You would look at what is happening in the tank.

This is not to say that a new toilet would not be worthwhile. But if you don't clog, then the existing toilet may be worth some more attention.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like the flapper is leaking or the float is bouncing up and down. Hard to know with out seeing what you got. What type of fill valve do you have? Can you take a picture of the plumbing inside the tank?

SamC

Reaction score
On Korky fill valves there is a valve, which looks like small white ball, in the bottom of the reservoir where the float operates. It controls the flow of water into the reservoir, and thus the rising and falling of the float. Scum can collect on this ball inside the reservoir, interfering with the operation of the float, and causing the fill valve to shut off inconsistently. It only takes a few minutes to snap the cover off the Korky, remove the float, and make sure the white ball is clear of debris.

Last edited:

Sanford Trap

Reaction score
Ive search all over and cant find a specific mention of this problem. After I flush, as the toilet is refilling, it fills, then stops, fills, then stops until it is full again. The bowl level varies from low to full after flushing. Instead of a steady filling sound of the water, its as if the water is being turned on and off several times as it fills. I also have an irregular flush pattern as the water is exiting the bowl. Instead of a smooth circular flush, it splashes back and forth like the the toilet is being slung back and forth. Any ideas?

Sanford Trap

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had this same start stop issue and tried swapping severel things.

The most simple thing fixed the issue.

I watched and seemed like the water "bouncing" of the inside of the "housing"
I turned down the pressure ever so slightly and it immediately stopped. It was building up and bouncing off the too of the "housing" no bulb. It's a white Korky anti siphon 528 (I think) Anyway, the extra pressure caused the water to totally fill housing then escape through the top and side of housing (I think) causing a quick blockage. Then as the water escaped the filing would continue. Turning pressure slightly down where the water volume in the housing never reached that maximum capacity allowed the air to remain on top thus allowing the flow to continue without that vapor lock type thing going on. At last I thin this problem is a vapor lock type thing.
Not a pro But this worked for me. If I am wrong or turning the water pressure down did something else to fix this please advise.
Thanks so much,
Seems to be a great site. Very helpful as well

Sanford Trap

Reaction score
Quick note. This started ever I replaced a flapper valve because toilet was running constant/intermittently if that makes sense. The start stop thing never happened before. Actually never on any toilet I have ever had in 50 years.
Just wasted to give all the info I have on this weird thing

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things:
- check your static water pressure. If it's over 80psi, you really need a pressure-reduction-valve. Excess pressure will deform the seal on the Korky fill valve fairly quickly, and before it fails, one of the symptoms is jerky/delayed on refills.
- If you look at the cap/seal on the Korky, if it isn't a smooth dome, it's time to replace it. Your symptom will go away for a bit, but return unless you reduce your static water pressure.

FWIW, turning down the shutoff valve does not change the pressure in the line. When the fill valve shuts off, regardless of whether the supply is a fire hose or a soda straw, the pressure is the same, so that pressure will deform the seal in the valve. Shutting the valve will change the volume available, not the pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks