Toilet recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

mrbig

Reaction score
I am constructing my new house and I need to pick out toilets for the plumber. I am leaning towards Toto Ultramax II but I am affraid of the 1.28 gpf toilets because I've never used them before. I know they are efficient, but do they do a good job cleaning up everything without leving anything behind?

Would you recommend getting a bigger gpf for the guest bathroom of the house?

Would you recommend any other models or brands all together?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any new bowl since 1992 has been a 1.6 gallon or less bowl.
The 1.28 gallon II series from TOTO have been working very well compared to all the other bowls that you can choose from.
The quality control is very good, and performance too. You can't go wrong with that. At the moment, I'm using the Ultramax II, the Vespin II and the Drake II.
I also have an SG Ultramax from 2006 with 1.6 gallons. They're all pretty much the same.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have two original Toto Drakes at 1.6gpf, and one Toto Carlyle II (essentially identical to an Ultramax II except it's skirted). Love them all. No problem with the 1.28gpf flush on the Ultramax II. If you want more info on that toilet, look at the green toilet reviews box above and click on the reviews for the Ultramax II. You'll be reassured. You're making the right choice, so go with it.

I'll make it even easier. Here's the link to reviews (note that this thread includes older reviews of the "one-piece Gwyneth", which is now called the Ultramax II and the "Two-piece Gwyneth", which is now called the Drake II; after the Gwyneth toilets were well-received, Toto renamed them in accord with its most famous models, the Drake and Ultramax.) https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?22139-TOTO-Ultramax-II-Gwyneth-MS604114CEFG-toilet-review

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you already had a 1.6 gpf toilet, I'd say stay with it, the extra 1/3 gallon per flush saving would hardly be worth changing toilets for. However, starting from scratch, go with the 1.28 gpf. They work just as well as the 1.6 gpf. Just a couple of years or so ago, 1.6 gpf was state of the art, but like all technology, state of the art can change overnight, but that does not necessarily render the older stuff obsolete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks