Toilet plumbing (sanitary) versus shower drain connected wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

JMitch

Reaction score
I am doing a minor renovation and I changed the pipes for the plumbing. When I spoke to a plumber who happened to be passing by, he said the work was done incorrectly.

The 3 inch pipe has a toilet above it. The 2 inch pipe comes from a shower.

This is in DC where 2012 ICC plumbing codes apply.

If this is incorrect, what changes are needed to make it ICC compliant? I'm thinking perhaps the 2" pipe should connect to the 3" (or maybe it's 4"?) vent stack in the rear corner.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You are also not permitted to have one of these "low heel" fittings for drainage:
index.php

They are thinking that solids are not given enough of a head start going the right way and could get into the drain line for the shower. In practice it probably works OK, but it would be flagged in the inspection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are also not permitted to have one of these "low heel" fittings for drainage:
In practice it probably works OK, but it would be flagged in the inspection.

I've pulled out santees on their back below a toilet and it didn't work out well for the homeowner. I would never install one that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks