Toilet performance question.

Users who are viewing this thread

B West

Reaction score
I recently installed identical toilets in a rental property. With the tank refilling to the fill mark, the level in the bowl is reached early and then overflows down the drain wasting water. I lowered the tank fill on both to about an inch below the fill mark and that made the fill stop at the correct bowl height for one. The other I placed a pinch valve on the bowl re-fill line to reduce the flow and now it fills to the correct bowl height. Both toilets 'seem' to flush with the same force as before. Is there any problem having the tank fill level an inch lower over time? Wondering with less flush water the toilet may clog or degrade quicker. Comments?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have good performance with the water within 1" of the overflow you are fine.
Both Fluidmaster and Korky sell fill valves that allow you to adjust the refill on the bowl. It's a good way to save on water. There is no sense in overfilling a bowl.
It sounds like you know what you are doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks