toilet over flows

Users who are viewing this thread

flex22

Reaction score
Hi can someone help me please. I snaked my toilet drain as far as I can go. problem one is the snake will not make the turn to go out.
the first time i did it I got it all to go out 100ft. now no more then maybe 20ft from the elbow to basement floor. but nothing is there.
so now the water just sits in the elbow and even when you run water in the sink it will come in the elbow and then flow from under the toilet.
big mess.
thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need a pro to clean the drain. Most smaller snakes only poke a hole in the clog, which often quickly closes up. A pro snake with a cutter head will literally ream the pipe clean to the sidewalls and cut out anything there. You could have a broken bit with roots, or a collapsed like as well, and a snake will not go through a collapsed line...it will cut through roots, but it can take awhile. If the toilet is leaking from the base, rather than overflowing out the top of the bowl, it needs to be reset as the wax ring is shot.

flex22

Reaction score
it did both:( and it was a new wax ring. after i thought it was fixed i cleaned up the bathroom let the water back in the toilet.
and I went in another room and heard it over flowing coming over the top. when i looked it was just setting in the elbow there not going down.
I poured a half bucket of water it when straight down but a full bucket and it will drain slow.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your toilet is not clogged. The clog is in the drain itself and the only way to clear it is to have a professional auger the line clear out to the street. As Jim says, you small snake is not up to the task. The wax ring is shot and must be replaced, but that is not causing the real problem. The plumber also needs to see what is causing the line to clog. Roots, broken line, low spot in the line, or things that should not be flushed in the first place are prime suspects. Body waste and normal toilet paper do not cause clogged lines.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks