Toilet options

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you don't want something made in Georgia?

You can always look at American Standard, Kohler, Caroma to name a few.

Last edited:

7echo

Reaction score
I would like a Toto and have looked at Dartmouth and Guinevere. However, I might have to use a supply house that is primarily Kohler, or go to a big box(which i do not want to do). So, I am interested in specific models that the pros here consider good toilets.
Of course I would rather buy a product made in Georgia, don't really want to support those northern yankee outfits!
Kidding! I am kidding!
Seriously, I will probably work it out to get the Guinevere, but there have to be options in other brands that are not horrible. Just looking for options...

abak_guinevere.jpg

TOTO Guinevere pedestal lav and toilet suite

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I know I am going to get pummeled. but... As a non-current plumber, I am not bound by the brotherhood of "nothing but a Toto". When I sized up the competition, I wanted ADA height, elongated bowl, a real flush and Sanigloss (or equivalent). The Toto Drake did not come with all of these options. I took a chance on the American Standard Cadet 3. After three months, the teenagers have yet to clog it. Even they appreciate the extra 2" in height and the wife is convinced it stays clean longer than the others in the house. Fit and finish are flawless. Granted, I may have gotten a good one off the shelf, but it is definitely worth a look. I think American Standard is trying to make up for the debacle of the Champion, which is only the champion of frustrating repairs.

The coup de gras - I bought it off the shelf at the infamous big box store. I understand the argument for the Totos. It is the same argument for a Lexus - exceptional quality from the get go, virtually no service calls. That doesn't mean Cadillac isn't making a fine product as well. For a guy installing his own, the Cadet is worth consideration.

Help me out Ian. I know the guys are getting ready to pounce :D

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey I'm not pouncing...
The Cadet 3 is a pretty decent throne...

But, as a pro I can't afford the callbacks that using Am. Std. products has generated for me. Their quality depends on a blind QC inspector that drinks too much Tequila at lunch... Or, so it seems to me. I can't afford the 2nd trips to return defective toilets nor callbacks on hidden defects. I only install them customer supplied.:cool:

GramGram

Reaction score
Sorry folks....

My Eco-Drake was made in China....

I hate that this is so but I love the toilet...
Fortunately, Customer Service IS in Georgia and they are great!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto toilets are made in several countries. What is somewhat unique about this is that the quality control is first rate regardless of the country the product is made in. You can not buy Toto in a Big Box Store. You can go to the Toto website and find a Toto dealer although it may not be close enough to go to in person. There are Toto dealers that sell on-line, just be very certain you check for shipping damage immediately upon receipt of the product.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably won't know where your Toto toilet will be made when you order one, but as mentioned, they've got their act together and regularly produce high quality products, regardless of where it is made. They have a few more than a few factories! They're huge in comparison to any of the US toilet companies (which rarely make them here either but don't have the QA/QC of Toto, at least in their foreign factories).

Mort

Reaction score
You can not buy Toto in a Big Box Store.

No longer entirely true. When I was looking for my Soiree(s) (manufactured in Georgia BTW) the local Lowes had them listed on their system as a special order item. Howsomeever, I didn't care to pay their quoted MSRP price.

Mort

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. It is true that Toto is not a discount special product and therefore the price will be higher than the builder toilets regularly sold by Box Stores. Recently in another thread on this forum, Redwood made a very good point about why initial cost of a toilet should not be a prime consideration. I'll let you find it, he wrote it better than I can recap it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This one?

A toilet is an item that on the average is used 4 times by every person in the family. They often see 30-40 years of service in a house... You should really think about whether this is something you want to go with the bottom of the line or, not.

When you look at the cost of installing several junkers that only last a short time vs a quality toilet that lasts for the life of your bathroom remodel with only normal parts replacement for wear and tear it's just not worth cheaping out on...

May I suggest a Toto Toilet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks