Toilet on 19" wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jroberts

Reaction score
Hello, I have an awkward bathroom that I am trying to make more usable. The best place to position the toilet is on a wall that is only 19" wide. On one side, there is a wall. On the other, the room is open. You probably already see my problem, but if my math is right then if I give myself the 15" clearance on the side with the wall, then a typical toilet tank will stick out 4" past the end of the wall. Is it possible to offset a toilet tank, maybe inside of the wall, or are the tanks always centered on the bowl? Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilet needs a 30 inch clear space 15 on a side . don't know what you could be talking about ? it should be 12 inches from wall to center of ring

toilet-clearance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jroberts

Reaction score
The proposed toilet location is facing the walk-in shower. The wall it sits against is 19" As you sit on it, to the left is a wall, and to the right the room is open. If the toilet is 15" from the left wall, and if the tank is 17.5" wide, then the tank will extend about 4" past the corner of the wall. Is it possible to move the tank to the left, towards the wall? Obviously, the tank would no longer be centered on the toilet itself. I was thinking of a wall mount toilet with a tank in the wall...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Al of the toilets I've seen have are built to have the tank centered on the bowl, so the toilet would stick out in the room some. I think it would look a little weird, but as long as you had the minimum clearances, would work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Corner toilet?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a w/c with a small tank . or use a commercial WC with a flushometer Ha Ha just kidding

Reach4

Reaction score
Door swinging the other way would let you wash your hands with the door open. Depending on what is outside of the bathroom, a swing-out door can be advantageous.

Consider burying some 4x4s in the wall in case you want to add some hold bars or grab bars in the future. Of course you would have to have notes of where those are, so you can drill an insert the lag screws. Some hold bars can double as towel bars.

You could move the toilet a bit toward the shower, and face 90 degrees to what you have been planning. An extended tank toilet would be about 30 inches out. The tank in the wall reduces that. The Toto Neorest toilets don't stick out as far and don't have a tank. They are very expensive, and repair is not going to be DIY.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The most recent toilet I installed (American Standard H2Option), the bowl is 14-1/2" wide and the tank is 14-3/4" wide. So the tank would basically stick out no more than the bowl itself. Both would stick out about 3-1/2" past a 19" wall as in the drawing. Maybe just frame in a faux column to provide a 23" wall for the WC to sit against.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks