Toilet noise after water shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcunning

Reaction score
Another day another mystery toilet sound haha. I'm hearing a soft hissing noise so I checked the usual culprits:flapper, overflow and they seem fine. Didn't seem like water was moving anywhere in the toilet so I turned water off to the toilet and emptied it.... Still hearing that sound! Is it the pipes themselves? Could it be... Gas?? There's a gas line somewhere near there in the exterior wall next to the toilet but it's sounding the same as a loose flapper basically. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Gas meters often make a hissing sound while you are using a bunch of gas. But I would not think you would be using a bunch of heating gas in Dallas October. Maybe cooking gas?

Loose flapper might make a dripping sound, and then the hissing comes from the toilet refilling intermittently to refill the lost water. With the stop valve closed, no refill is happening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks