Toilet mounting alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Chezdan

Reaction score
Considering replacing our old toilet with a new skirted Toto. I can't drill into the floor for the rear of the adapter or side blocks. Have 1/2" ceramic tile over 1.5" gypcrete with infloor heating. The heat loop runs directly beside and behind the closet flange where the additional mounting holes would need to go so I can't drill into the floor. Anyone have suggestions on how to mount? I assume just using the closet flange is insufficient.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have very good pictures of where the tube/wire is running? Could you drill next to the Unifit and place a bracket over the top to secure the back?

I have pulled several Toto skirted toilets that didn't have screws securing the back as well... Didn't see any issues. I think it just puts more strain on them as you remove them, rather than placing them and not likely any issues with sealing.

IIRC The Kohler units don't have any secondary points of securing to the floor.
Below is taken from the Kohler Corbelle installation book. I installed this model toilet at my sisters house. But be forwarned that the water supply MUST be out of the way of the rear of the skirt. At least on the model I installed.

1667838681840.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't use a skirted Toto, in that case.

I don't know other toilets, but maybe there is a skirted toilet that only uses the closet flange to hold the toilet.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have 1/2" ceramic tile over 1.5" gypcrete with infloor heating.
If you are confident that the ceramic tile is 1/2" thick, you could drill 1/2" deep holes and epoxy some threaded studs into the holes. Just another option, probably easier to change toilets.

Cheers, Wayne

Chezdan

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

I wasn't aware of the Kohler models with the side clips that fit on the flange. But I've not found a model that is any better than what I already have installed.

Not sure I can drill just 1/2" into the tile. From the template, it looks like the holes go right on the edge of a grout line. I'm not sure I can get a tight fit for an anchor.

For the Toto installs that weren't anchored into the floor, could you tell if they used any type of adhesive or sealant to keep the adapter in place or was it just loose on the floor.

Right now I'm thinking of two options.
One is to get a 1/4" plate, tap and put some studs in to bolt the adapter to, put an angle across the back of the plate and anchor it into the wall behind the toilet. If I do this, should I add a 1/4" flange spacer too.

Or I could get a 1/4" plate made that I can bolt the adapter to and can be also be bolted to the closet flange to keep in in place. I'm assuming I have enough space under the back of the toilet to add the 1/4" plate.

Anyone have any additional thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
For the Toto installs that weren't anchored into the floor, could you tell if they used any type of adhesive or sealant to keep the adapter in place or was it just loose on the floor.
For the Totos that use the Unifit adapter, it is important that you use an acrylic caulk, such as Polyseamseal, around about the front 90% of the base. The caulk keeps the front part of the toilet from sliding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks