Toilet makes faint sound when using

Users who are viewing this thread

pizzamonger

Reaction score
when I add liquid to toilet bowl (urinate), I hear the toilet making a faint sound. I’m assuming in the resevoir? It’s a new kohler low water use toilet. Any ideas? I thought maybe adjust something in resevoir.

Reach4

Reaction score
Normal. The water dribbles over the internal weir as you add more liquid.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
goat-lake-2017-12.jpg

As I was looking at this water fall, I could hear the sound of water making noise. Why don't they make water falls quieter?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Like Reach said, the bowl has level at which it is full. When you add liquid, the water dribbles over the internal weir, out the outlet, and down the drain. That's what you're hearing.

When you add a rush of water to the bowl in a flush, the trapway fills with water and siphons the contents of the bowl out. The gurgle you hear is the siphon breaking when the bowl empties. Then it refills. A lot of water = siphon. A little fluid = dribble over weir and down the drain. A common misperception is that toilets flush by forcing water down the drain. Nope. They force water into the bowl, which creates a siphon in the now-filled trapway, which sucks the bowl contents out and down the drain.

toilet-cut-out-diagram.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks