Toilet leaks at the base

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
My upstairs master bath toilet leaks at the base. The leak is at the rear left, under the valve. The leak is not clear water, it is brownish water. If I feel around the valve and tubing running my hand up to the toilet there is nothing wet, therefore it is not the valve or inlet tubing. No other toilets in my house leak and I have no slow drains in my house. Since this toilet is on the upstairs master bath, it is not the lowest point (pointing to a main line backup). When I moved in had it re-seated twice times by a professional plumber. Then I had a plumber install a new toilet (I broke the previous toilet's tank). The new toilet leaks too. Both toilets were stable and not rocking. The toilet flushes fine and clears the toilet with one flush. Also, it rarely clogs. Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
The leak is not clear water, it is brownish water.
Do you have galvanized pipes, and could the brownish be rust?

If I feel around the valve and tubing running my hand up to the toilet there is nothing wet, therefore it is not the valve or inlet tubing.
When you say valve, I think you mean the stop valve at the wall. The fill valve in the toilet is at the top end of the supply line.

You could put some toilet paper or paper towel down to confirm the direction of flow -- toilet to wall, or wall to toilet.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Do you have galvanized pipes, and could the brownish be rust?

When you say valve, I think you mean the stop valve at the wall. The fill valve in the toilet is at the top end of the supply line.

You could put some toilet paper or paper towel down to confirm the direction of flow -- toilet to wall, or wall to toilet.

I have PVC drain pipes and copper supply lines.

I do mean stop valve. Using my hand I felt from the stop valve on the wall, following the tubing all the way to where the tube connects to the toilet's fill valve. Nothing is wet. The brown puddle is always directly under the fill valve area, and the puddle never gets large or follows back to the wall, it stays just under the fill valve area before I clean it up. Here is another possibility. I am 300 lbs could this be happening due to my weight? Like I said before the toilet does not rock or move, even when I am sitting on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you flush several times in a row, does the puddle grow? Is the puddle bigger or smaller when you have not used the toilet for several hours?

You could put a container under the fill valve, for a while, to collect potential drips. It's not that I think it likely that will collect anything, it is easy check for an improbable cause.

Plunging a toilet into a clogged drain can blow wax out. Plunging a clogged toilet into a working drain will not blow wax out. I am not a plumber.

Higgledy

Reaction score
If you flush several times in a row, does the puddle grow? Is the puddle bigger or smaller when you have not used the toilet for several hours?

You could put a container under the fill valve, for a while, to collect potential drips. It's not that I think it likely that will collect anything, it is easy check for an improbable cause.

Plunging a toilet into a clogged drain can blow wax out. Plunging a clogged toilet into a working drain will not blow wax out. I am not a plumber.

Thanks. I will try the first two ideas and get back to you. I might also wrap the tubing with paper towels to totally rule out an fill-side leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks