Toilet leaking all over my floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Stuff I saw wrote, Mad Plumber

I had a plummer out today to change the wax ring in my upstairs toilet. When he pulled the toilet up we found that it wasn't the wax ring messed up but the tank was broken. (The part that fits into the pipe - don't know what it's called.) Anyway, I know the toilet probably isn't orginal to my 100 year old home (even though it was built with a bathroom) but it must be old because I found it listed in "antique toilets" on the net. My question: Is there anyway to "fix" or "rig" this toilet so it doesn't leak and be able to keep it? If not, is there a place to buy these old things? (Fixing would probably be a bettter option cost wise if possible.) Thanks for your help.
Julia

I felt I needed to explain this better than when I first wrote it. When we pulled the stool up, we found it broken on the bottom of the bowl. There is a "lip" that fits into the sewer drain that is broken off. It's not the entire piece, only a portion of it, maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of it. It's not cracked beyond the break. (part is actually gone) The plummer I had come said he felt that the stool needed replaced because he didn't know of any way to fix it. I thought perhaps I could use some caulk to build it back up a bit and then use two wax rings to secure it so the water will flow down the drain instead of out on the floor through the place where it is broken. I would really like to keep this tank and bowl combination. What do you more knowledgeable plummer people think?
Julia again, not my name, just saying stuff again.

Julie,
What do I think? I think you've got nothing but time on your hands to keep messing with a leaking, broken toilet. Did you pull the toilet up because of water on the floor? If that's the case, why would you put a broken leaking floor rotting toilet back. Is the toilet reinstalled now, and if so, does it leak? Here's what I would do. I would take that toilet, and strap it onto my back, real tight with a rope and some duct tape. Then I would climb that tall green leafy tree in my front yard with that toilet strapped to me. Builds muscles in my legs and arms when I do stuff like that. Now when I get about 125 feet up into the air, I would start pulling that rope and duct tape off, and get that thing into my hands for one last look. Way down far away, I should be able to spot that great big rock in the front yard. With a mighty heave, I would throw that puppie off and see if I can hit the rock with the toilet from way the heck up in the tree. Wham!, Crash! Eeehaaa! I love doing that kinda thing. Oh yeah, what was the question? Mad Plumber

You're crazy! lol No, I don't just have time on my hands, infact I have many things happening in my life. The fact is, my house was the first, in the town I live in, to have been built with plumbing (1907). (I'm proud of that fact.) This toilet is what replaced the first and was put in during the late teens or very early 20's (and yes I know it wouldn't meet standards now). BUT, I really want to save it. I guess it's really my choice and if fixing it doesn't work THEN I'll replace it. However, taping it to my back and climbing a tree doesn't sound fun, I'll op for having someone else carrying it down the stairs.
best regards, Julia

Last edited by a moderator:

Melanie Fuller

Reaction score
Julia needs to take that toilet out into the backyard and use it for a planter if she wants to keep it so badly. The dirt won't care if it's broken...then put a new replica toilet in the bathroom...she can even put a plaque up next to her old toilet with its date of birth and death, then give garden tours for the toilet...ijs

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks