Toilet Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Dachay2tnr

Reaction score
I have a toilet in an upstairs guest bath that is rarely used, although I'll flush it every week or two. The other night I flushed it and a small amount of water (ounce or two) seeped out from where the toilet meets the floor. I wiped it up, flush again and the same thing happened. I assumed the wax ring was bad.

Following day I bought a wax ring, and was preparing to change it. I shut off the supply valve and flushed the toilet, and... no leak. Turn the valve back on, flushed again, still no leak. Over the past 24 or 30 hours I have flushed it several more times, and still no leak. Nor any evidence of stains on the ceiling below the toilet.

My question is could this have been a wax ring problem that re-seated itself by me leaning on the toilet when I cleaned up the leak. It seems to be fine now, but would you change it anyway, or wait until or when the problem reappears? Obviously I'm hoping to avoid this project, but concerned. TIA.

Dachay2tnr

Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't water leaking from the tank and making it's way down to the floor?
Thanks, but no. It was seeping out between toilet and floor at the back of the toilet. Plus if was from the tank, wouldn’t it be continuous and not just happen with a flush?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that the toilet was not seated well, but if that were the case, it would also be likely that the anchor bolts are now loose if the toilet was able to be pushed down.

Can you rock the toilet at all? IF so, then yes, you should replace the wax seal, but you MUST shim it so it is stable while doing it. The wax is not springy...if it can rock, it will compress, and rocking the other way, will open up a gap.

Normally, the toilet outlet is barely 2" in diameter, and centered over the toilet flange which is at least 3", so even if the wax ring was defective, while it might leak sewer gas, it wouldn't leak when flushed. Now, if the drain line was partially blocked, it could back up and leak out there.

Does the tank rock on the toilet bowl? If it does, it might only leak when it is pushed one way or the other by leaning against it. Or, if the tank is installed with a metal washer under the head of the bolt in the tank, that can have a less than ideal seal. You need a metal washer, but it can only be installed underneath the tank, not in the tank (the rubber one in the tank). And, if the design will allow it, it's good to use two nuts and two metal washers...one to hold the bolt and rubber washer to the tank and create the seal, and then the second one to hold the tank to the bowl.

Dachay2tnr

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It remains a mystery to me. The toilet is solid on the floor. No rocking. And the tank is also solid on the bowl.

You mention blockage. Perhaps it was partially blocked, and the few flushes cleared the blockage? (Although, without any use, I'm not sure what would have caused the block.) Also, fwiw, I don't smell any sewer gas in the bathroom.

This definitely occurred in conjunction with a flush, but no one was using the toilet at the time. As I mentioned, I flush it on occasion just to control the build up of a ring at the water line in the bowl. But it's now over 2 days since it happened, and despite numerous flushes since then, the leak has not reappeared.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Condensation on the outside of the tank due to high ambient humidity?
Unlikely on a toilet that is flushed once every couple of days...

Most modern toilets don't have that issue either, but very frequent use can cool things off enough regardless, and allow things to sweat. NOw, if the flapper valve has a small leak...that constant influx of cold water could cause condensation.

Bagmansports

Reaction score
My toilet is sitting on top of ceramic tile. I have noticed that the carpet is wet about 18 to 24 inches away from my toilet. Could the wax ring be leaking water under the ceramic tile and running about 18 inches under my carpet causing the carpet to be wet? If so should I change the wax ring get a fan and dehumidifier and run those for a few days to dry out the carpet? Thank you in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My toilet is sitting on top of ceramic tile. I have noticed that the carpet is wet about 18 to 24 inches away from my toilet. Could the wax ring be leaking water under the ceramic tile and running about 18 inches under my carpet causing the carpet to be wet?

If the wax seal is bad, then yes, water can make it's way under tile and spread out. It's a good idea to throw some air on that to dry things up. Sounds like you will be pulling the toilet and checking the seal. If the flange is lower than the finished flooring, you will want to either stack two wax rings or get a thick ring.

Bagmansports

Reaction score
If the wax seal is bad, then yes, water can make it's way under tile and spread out. It's a good idea to throw some air on that to dry things up. Sounds like you will be pulling the toilet and checking the seal. If the flange is lower than the finished flooring, you will want to either stack two wax rings or get a thick ring.
THANK YOU SO MUCH MR.LOVE FOR YOUR POST! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. If I lived in your area you would be the one I would call. You are the best!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A very common issue with any toilet, and especially on a tiled floor, is that the toilet doesn't sit perfectly tight onto the floor without rocking. If it rocks at all, you'll probably end up with it leaking, either just sewer gasses and potentially wastes. There's an article at the top of this section about how to install a toilet...read it. Generically, most are identical and would apply to yours. Essentially, you probably will need some shims to make sure the toilet won't rock (even a little). Personally, I often just use some pocket change - a dime is thinner than a penny, and then comes a quarter, followed by a nickel, and I don't have to make a run to the store. You'll probably be out of pocket less, too, verses buying shims for it. Both will work.

FWIW, while tile itself generally won't be affected by being wet, it is NOT waterproofing, and moisture can and will get beneath it if there's any there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks