Toilet is over 90 feet from street

Users who are viewing this thread

Seymour Ovitt

Reaction score
Greetings. First post. I have searched for an answer, but have had no luck. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.
If anyone is familiar with plumbing in New Orleans, you will understand my dilemma. Many of the older homes have a detached garage behind the house, near the rear of the property. It was common to have the water heater, and the washing machine (and dryer if you could afford one), in the garage.
I recently purchased a home that was originally set up that way. The owner before me, put the water heater inside the house, and converted a closet in the hall into a laundry room, tore down the garage and had a new slab poured for a new, larger garage. He also stubbed out the back corner for a toilet. I shoved a garden hose down the 4" drain, and let it run for 30 minutes. No back-ups, clogs, or apparent leaks (looking in the yard, later, for damp/wet spots). There is a vent stack back there, too. I want to put a toilet back there, however the run from the toilet to the street is well over 90 feet.
I am no plumber, but I find it hard to believe that these new toilets with such a small amount of water per flush will be able to carry any waste all the way out to the street. Aside from telling anyone who uses the toilet for something other than a whizz to flush 2 or 3 times, what are my options?
Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Low flow toilets have been working fine since about 2yrs after their introduction. If you're unsure of the condition of the drain line, hire someone to run a camera down the line and verify its condition and depth to make sure its of proper slope and free of defect.

If the drain seems iffy get a sign that you can hang over the toilet that says "You clog it, You plunge it" ;)

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If the piping is really 90 foot run and the pitch is nil then possibly consider a sewer ejector to force the sewerage down stream .

By using a sewer ejector it can be set for a higher volume discharge then any fixture so the pressure and volume should over come even slightly back pitched lines

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My parents home was 250 feet to the main sewer ran with 4" clay pipe.
We had two 1.6 GPF and on 1.28 GPF toilets in the home. It was never a problem.

A pressure assist toilet does have more drain line carry though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What doesn't make it all the way on the first flush, will be pushed along the next time it is used. As long as the slope of the line is proper, it should be okay. If there's a slope issue, then things could get messy. The initial push with a pressure assist can move it further down the line, but friction will slow it down just like a gravity flush eventually.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id hook it up and run it . and not worry about it . Id probebly run a little extra water but it will be good to have a sink and w/c .

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd be curious if the line actually runs from your garage to the street. Running that line to the main house drainline would make so much more sense.

This would reduce the length of clog concern, but as others mentioned, if the pipe is properly pitched, it should be fine.

Reach4

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your sewage disposal facility could be many miles away. Some situations may require a pumping station(s) depending on elevation changes, but many systems get by with none. Gravity doesn't quit and proper slope is critical. When designed and installed with good workmanship, it works. The larger pipes once you get to the streets can work with even less slope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks