Toilet is making a thumping sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Khadija

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a toilet in my basement that makes a thumping sound tbat you can hear all the way up to the living room upstairs. Do I need to replace the fill valve?

Since recording this video the thumping is much faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That looks like a Fluidmaster fill valve. If it is, you can restore it to like new with a new seal. Go on their website for how to open it up. IF it works like that (or if it says Fluidmaster on it), a new seal can be installed in a minute or so after you shut the water off with no tools. But, what you're seeing could be a secondary problem caused by having excessively high water pressure. It should not be higher than 80psi in the house. If it is, it can make it harder to shutoff the water flow. If the water pressure is excessive, you would need a pressure-regulating-valve (prv) and an expansion tank to prevent that seal from wearing out prematurely. They don't last forever, regardless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks