Toilet is gurgling...what should i do?

Users who are viewing this thread

tm311

Reaction score
I live in a new house built in the past 4 years, two story modular colonial. I have a septic tank and a shared leech field. I have had no problems at all up to this point. The past week I have heard and seen alot of gurgling in the first floor toilet. It seems to be only in the morning when my girls are upstairs showering. On a scale of 1-10, I would say its a 7 or 8 in terms of active water moving in the bowl. I am not a plumbker nor would I be comfortable going up on the second story roof to check the vent opening. Should I be calling a plumber? Whats going on here? Is it an indication I need to have my tank pumped out?

Last edited:

tm311

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Is this something I can do myself? Plunger? Snake? How do I find this clog?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
clog?

Find the septic and look in the access (where they pump it out from).
Could be in need of pumping or the outlet could be plugged.
The field could be plugged or saturated.
Not likely that the sewer should be plugged unless its related to a bad septic situation.
Not being able to see the set-up, I say find the top lid on the tank and inspect the tank. Flush toilets and run a lot of water.
The level of liquid in the tank should not rise.
If its hard to locate and you've found it, mark it real good so you can locate it next time.

tm311

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Find the septic and look in the access (where they pump it out from).
Could be in need of pumping or the outlet could be plugged.
The field could be plugged or saturated.
Not likely that the sewer should be plugged unless its related to a bad septic situation.
Not being able to see the set-up, I say find the top lid on the tank and inspect the tank. Flush toilets and run a lot of water.
The level of liquid in the tank should not rise.
If its hard to locate and you've found it, mark it real good so you can locate it next time.

are we talking about the actual septic tank under ground, or the large white PVC pipe that runs to it from my basement? I do have access to that pipe. 3 days ago while it was gurgling I flushed it and it would not flush and nearly overflowed. I do not think it has gurgled since I gave it the old plunger to allow the water to flush. I has never backed up before, only this one time I flushed it when it was gurgling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks