Toilet Installation - Tile Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Kristen930

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a toilet today and was wondering what you recommend to do when the toilet flange is about ½” below the floor level.

IMG_8257.jpg
IMG_8258.jpg

Thanks!
Kristen

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For 1/2" below the finished floor, either:

One #10 (extra thick) wax ring OR

Two regular wax rings, preferably one without a horn (funnel) and one with a horn. You put the one with the funnel on top of the one without the funnel. Regardless of what the toilet instructions say, you put the wax ring(s) on the floor and you smush the toilet down onto the wax. You do not put the wax ring on the toilet and then try to position it over the flange. As Terry says, anybody who has installed a toilet more than once always puts the wax on the floor, not on the base of the toilet.

If you don't feel a little resistance when putting the bowl on the wax -- if you don't have to "smush" it down on the wax -- then you need more wax.

If this is your first DIY installation, you may also consider stacking two SaniSeals. You can only use the wax ring once; if you pull the bowl back up or it rocks, you have to start over with the wax, because the wax doesn't rebound. The Sani-Seal doesn't have this issue, and is easy to stack because each closet bolt goes through a hole in the Sani-Seal. I have used the Sani-Seal several times in a stacking configuration, and it works fine. It's just that the wax is cheaper; I use that more often.

Definitely follow Terry's instructions about how to shim the bowl, etc. You can get these from the How To Install A Drake instructions at the top of this section of the Forum.

Also, Terry has an excellent video on installing a toilet:

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't forget the step to caulk around the front of the toilet...without it, the toilet WILL move some, and potentially break a wax seal. On a tiled floor, you just can't count on getting the bolts tight enough to hold it in position like you might over a vinyl floor, and you risk cracking the toilet if you get it too tight. Snug, and caulk, and it won't move.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks