Toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

hattrick58

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a question about toilet installs. I've never installed one, but it looks pretty starightforward. My question is are the bases all standard. I'm going to replace both toilets in our house and the only thing I'm hesitant about is where the tile has been cut around the base, hence the question. Thanks for any advice or meaningful insights.

D

dc_homeplumber

If your bathroom was properly constructed, the tile should have been laid on the entire floor before the installation of the toilet and the size/shape of the new one should have no bearing in this particular regard. In other words, the toilet should be sitting on top of tile.

To answer your question, however, no, all brands differ; they're not "standard" in terms of the base of the bowl.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If the original plumbing and tile work was done professionally, you won't have a problem at all.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use shims if required to make sure it sits flat. Trial fit prior to installingthe wax seal. Then install the wax and reset the toilet, keeping the shims in place (the tricky part!). A rocking toilet will leak...

Spokaneman

Reaction score
For a first timer, I think a unifit Toto would be easier as you can't screw up the wax ring as easily as a conventional toilet. I put two of them in in about 3 hours, unpacking them took longer than the actual install.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

If the floor covering is cut around the base, rather than installed under the toilet, then you will have to patch the floor covering, since it is unlikely you will ever find another toilet with the same shape, even if it were from the same manufacturer, unless the old toilet is only a few years old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks